What's new

Vintage Avon find

Ditto. I got into it initially for nostalgia sake, because I remember seeing these bottles in my Grandparent's bathroom, when I was a kid. But my frugal nature made me dive in. When I could go to an antique store and buy an 8oz bottle of aftershave for $2... a deal like that is really hard to pass up. Now, I literally have a lifetime supply of aftershave!

i too have a lifetime supply. the best part is, i think that the avon stuff smells exactly like some of the name brand stuff. To my nose, wild country IS Pinaud-Clubman and spicy IS old spice. i did a side by side sniff test to come to these scientific results.
:prrr:

Last edited:
i too have a lifetime supply. the best part is, i think that the avon stuff smells exactly like some of the name brand stuff. To my nose, wild country IS Pinaud-Clubman and spicy IS old spice. i did a side by side sniff test to come to these scientific results.
Yes, I believe most of their scents were designed as clones. We've discussed that in the ALPHA Team thread. I've got numerous other "smell-a-likes" noted there.

Had this one "PIF'ed" by the father-in-law (Wild Country)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 144
I hit the jackpot today. I've never had any vintage Avon aftershave and found a bunch of it at a local Goodwill. There was about 13 of them and they were all full. They were priced at either $7 or $10. I picked 3 of them and came home with the following:

Left to Right

Maxwell 23, Deep Woods Aftershave, 6 oz
Sold Gold Cadillac, Leather Aftershave, 6 oz
Rolls-Royce, Tai Winds Aftershave, 6 oz

I couldn't test most of them, but I think they had just about every vintage Avon scent I have heard about. I know they had Oland, Spice, Wild Country, and a few others besides what I bought. I left behind about 8 more vehicles and a post office box. No clue on the scents of some of them because Goodwill put the price sticker right over the Avon one for most of them.

I hit the jackpot today. I've never had any vintage Avon aftershave and found a bunch of it at a local Goodwill. There was about 13 of them and they were all full. They were priced at either $7 or $10. I picked 3 of them and came home with the following:

Left to Right

Maxwell 23, Deep Woods Aftershave, 6 oz
Sold Gold Cadillac, Leather Aftershave, 6 oz
Rolls-Royce, Tai Winds Aftershave, 6 oz

I couldn't test most of them, but I think they had just about every vintage Avon scent I have heard about. I know they had Oland, Spice, Wild Country, and a few others besides what I bought. I left behind about 8 more vehicles and a post office box. No clue on the scents of some of them because Goodwill put the price sticker right over the Avon one for most of them.
A word of advice, I recommend putting baby oil on the price stickers to help loosen them overnight before removing. I had that very same gold Cadillac with a sticker on it and when I pulled the price tag off, a large piece of gold paint came off with it also. I found another one to replace it with and tried the baby oil trick and it worked great.

A word of advice, I recommend putting baby oil on the price stickers to help loosen them overnight before removing. I had that very same gold Cadillac with a sticker on it and when I pulled the price tag off, a large piece of gold paint came off with it also. I found another one to replace it with and tried the baby oil trick and it worked great.

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.

My wife decided to surprise me with 3 more of these for Valentines day and then we went back yesterday and got two more. They are all gone now.

I ended up with 5 more. Another 4-6 disappeared somewhere since I picked up the first ones.

Left to Right:

Avon Big Rig - 3.5 oz of Wild Country Aftershave in the cab, 6 oz Wild Country Talc in the trailer
Avon Camper (no name on the tag) - 5 oz Oland Aftershave in the truck, 4 oz Oland talk in the camper, however, the cap was lost, so it was opened and squeezed all over the shelves in the store. I dumped it when I got home.
Avon Blue Car (no name on the tag) - 5 oz Wild Country
Avon 1936 GM - 5 oz Tai Winds Aftershave
Avon Bugatti 27 - 6.5 oz Deep Woods Cologne

today's $1 thrift-store find:

$avon_brush_jar.jpg

looking through this 'sticky,' i see there are numerous other shaving-related bottles to find! the hunt continues!

willie
on the cheap-shaving Gulf of Mexico

I just snagged a full bottle of Everest in a Touring "T." I had no idea what it was so had to get on the forum to find out. This looks like a cult to me. I'm in and someone please pass the kool-aid! I will be on the look out for these.

I just snagged a full bottle of Everest in a Touring "T." I had no idea what it was so had to get on the forum to find out. This looks like a cult to me. I'm in and someone please pass the kool-aid! I will be on the look out for these.
Everest is very good, a new favorite of mine. Kind of rare, wish I had more.
If you like Avon that much, join the ALPHAs! Search for the thread in the Clubs and Brotherhoods.

OK, I think this one goes here...

I bought some vintage decanters because I dislike the plastic ones and I like my den a bit more uniform. But the Shaving Brush was full (NOS) and I wonder if I could use it, so I stumble upon this thread, needless to say, my question was answered and I feel better to see other gentlemen with similar tastes (or problems, as my wife said). So here are my three bottles, I will keep my eye out for the Barber's Pole, but that would be the end of that, I hope :)
$IMG_5485.jpg

Top Bottom