What's new

Vintage Avon find

This week, I went a little crazy at the antique stores:

• Starter Whistle - Tai Winds AS (70% full)
  • Water Pump w/detachable shoehorn handle - Leather AS (full)
  • 1936 MG w/box - Blend 7 AS (full)
  • THE BIG ONE: 8 oz. Keg - Avon Bay Rum AS (full!!)
Plus a few other irresistable vintage items that refused to be left out of the picture. :blush:

Outstanding! I love the Barbershop soap, it's one of my regulars. Great haul.

Outstanding! I love the Barbershop soap, it's one of my regulars. Great haul.

Thanks, Tom. I'm looking forward to that Franklin soap, and the vintage Beecham-era Williams also (as a fan of modern Williams, I'm eager to see what all the hoo-hah is about).

I tried the Tai Winds last night: very, very nice. The little lady went gaga over the scent. I've got to say, fellas, that all these vintage Avon splashes have excellent performance IMO. They rival the efficacy of any of the modern aftershaves in my copious collection, and are actually better than many. I'd mourn their passing out of production, but for the fact that they're pretty readily available (and usually value-priced) on the secondary market.

At least, until I buy them all up! :001_cool:

Your left one has yet to descend until you have this one! Found today full for a couple bucks.

proxy.php

Hehe! I got a "charge" out of that one, Sparky! :001_smile
Looks like a great travel-size. What would TSA say about that one?

I've not tried the Beecham Williams but according to michiganlover it's better than the new stuff but not quite as good as the earlier stuff. I too like the modern Williams but the older version is definitely better.

The Tai Winds is very good, another one I'm really liking is Windjammer. This stuff really is everywhere now that I'm looking for it, I'm sticking with just buying the "economy" priced bottles for now!

Thanks, Tom. I'm looking forward to that Franklin soap, and the vintage Beecham-era Williams also (as a fan of modern Williams, I'm eager to see what all the hoo-hah is about).

I tried the Tai Winds last night: very, very nice. The little lady went gaga over the scent. I've got to say, fellas, that all these vintage Avon splashes have excellent performance IMO. They rival the efficacy of any of the modern aftershaves in my copious collection, and are actually better than many. I'd mourn their passing out of production, but for the fact that they're pretty readily available (and usually value-priced) on the secondary market.

At least, until I buy them all up! :001_cool:

The Tai Winds is very good, another one I'm really liking is Windjammer. This stuff really is everywhere now that I'm looking for it, I'm sticking with just buying the "economy" priced bottles for now!

You get the super deals for sure. I've found a few for $3, but most antique sellers want $6-8 for full bottles in my neighborhood. Considering that Avon charges $15 for 3.4 oz of Wild Country AS these days, they're still a bargain!

I've not tried the Beecham Williams but according to michiganlover it's better than the new stuff but not quite as good as the earlier stuff. I too like the modern Williams but the older version is definitely better.

Took a puck of Beecham era Menthol Williams for a shave this morning. It generated a rich, and creamy lather with practically no effort. It may not be as top notch as the 1970's era soap, but I still found it to be vastly more than adequate. It's good stuff.

It didn't seem to have any actual menthol content though. :confused1:confused1

Who knew there were dozens of antique stores within 25 miles of my house? Some guy named Google. This weekend's quarry, run to ground:

• Volkswagen; Oland AS (unopened)
  • Whale Oil Lamp; Oland AS (unopened)
  • Model A; Leather AS (unopened)
  • Minuteman; Wild Country AS (unopened)
  • Blunderbuss Pistol; Everest AS (unopened) <--New scent for me, nice!
Also, NIB Buffalo Nickel soapdish with carved soap puck; Clint frangrance. This smells awesome, but it's so gorgeous I don't even want to touch it. I probably will anyway. Think it'll lather?

Here are mine. Somehow I missed this thread until now!:001_rolle The Whale Lamp was empty when I found it at a garage sale last summer. The lady gave it to me for free:w00t:, since my wife was buying other stuff! I found the Capital Building at an estate sale last weekend for $2, and it had something in it, but it was definitely not pleasant. So now it's gone awaiting a refill.:001_smile

I hit the antiquers early today. Coming up totally empty after visiting 3 stores and a thrift shop, I slid into the Queen of Hearts antique mall in Alpharetta. The place is huge, and after an hour of meticulous and fruitless surveying...I ran into a vintage Avon bonanza in the final row of vendor stalls! The bad news is that SWMBO has laid down the law, so this will probably cap my collection. Unless I run into the as-yet unseen Island Lime or Seazone varieties.... :biggrin1:

Picture 1:
  • "Country Vendor" decanter, 5oz Spicy AS (full)
  • "Sterling Six" decanter, 7oz Tribute AS (full--finally found Tribute!)
  • "Vantastic" decanter, 5oz Everest AS (full)
Picture 2:
  • "Smooth Going!" decanter, 1.5oz Deep Woods AS (full--finally found DW!)
  • "Spark Plug" decanter, 1.5oz Wild Country AS (full)
  • "No Cause for Alarm" decanter, 4oz Deep Woods AS (full)
  • Mason Jar, 6oz? (empty, will decant Pinaud VI or Master's bay rum in there)
Picture 3:
  • "The Capitol" decanter, 5oz Leather AS (full)
  • "Pocket Watch" decanter, 6oz Bravo AS (full--finally found Bravo!)
  • "Liberty Dollar" decanter, 6oz Tribute AS (full, silver is flaking badly, might repaint it)
Picture 4:
  • "Noble Prince" decanter, 4oz Wild Country AS (full, reminds us of a pet who passed)
  • "First Down" decanter, 5oz Sports Rally Bracing Lotion (full--haven't seen this variety before!)
  • "Snoopy" decanter, 5oz Excalibur AS (full--nice milkglass bottle!)
  • Golf Ball Soaps, 3 x 1.5oz Spicy fragrance (NIB)
Picture 5 (I consider these "the fine wine list"):
  • "Captain's Pride" decanter, 6oz Oland AS (full, half-flat glass bottle)
  • "Hunter's Stein" decanter, 8oz Deep Woods AS (full)
  • "Bucking Bronco" decanter, 6oz Excalibur AS (full, NIB!)
It's been fun, but now I'm done. Suuure I am. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I hit the antiquers early today. Coming up totally empty after visiting 3 stores and a thrift shop, I slid into the Queen of Hearts antique mall in Alpharetta. The place is huge, and after an hour of meticulous and fruitless surveying...I ran into a vintage Avon bonanza in the final row of vendor stalls! The bad news is that SWMBO has laid down the law, so this will probably cap my collection. Unless I run into the as-yet unseen Island Lime or Seazone varieties.... :biggrin1:

Picture 1:
  • "Country Vendor" decanter, 5oz Spicy AS (full)
  • "Sterling Six" decanter, 7oz Tribute AS (full--finally found Tribute!)
  • "Vantastic" decanter, 5oz Everest AS (full)
Picture 2:
  • "Smooth Going!" decanter, 1.5oz Deep Woods AS (full--finally found DW!)
  • "Spark Plug" decanter, 1.5oz Wild Country AS (full)
  • "No Cause for Alarm" decanter, 4oz Deep Woods AS
  • Mason Jar, 6oz? (empty, will decant Pinaud VI or Master's bay rum in there)
Picture 3:
  • "The Capitol" decanter, 5oz Leather AS (full)
  • "Pocket Watch" decanter, 6oz Bravo AS (full--finally found Bravo!)
  • "Liberty Dollar" decanter, 6oz Tribute AS (full, silver is flaking badly, might repaint it)
Picture 4:
  • "Noble Prince" decanter, 4oz Wild Country AS (full, reminds us of a pet who passed)
  • "First Down" decanter, 5oz Sports Rally Bracing Lotion (full--haven't seen this variety before!)
  • "Snoopy" decanter, 5oz Excalibur AS (full--nice milkglass bottle!)
  • Golf Ball Soaps, 3 x 1.5oz Spicy fragrance (NIB)
Picture 5 (I consider these "the fine wine list"):
  • "Captain's Pride" decanter, 6oz Oland AS (full, half-flat glass bottle)
  • "Hunter's Stein" decanter, 8oz Deep Woods AS (full)
  • "Bucking Bronco" decanter, 6oz Excalibur AS (full, NIB!)
It's been fun, but now I'm done. Suuure I am. :tongue_sm

Holy Moly! That is outstanding! And your wife said no more, huh? Imagine that.:lol:

Here's what I've picked up lately. There's a lot of these around but I'm limiting myself to full bottles, or close to full that are reasonably (cheap) priced. Rhino is about 75% full of Tai Winds but it was only $1, the golf bag is full of Wild Country and was $2.50 and the car is full of Spicy and was only $.99. I'm going to give the golf bag to my brother who is an avid golfer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I guess I'm now in the Avon club as well. I picked this up this morning, and am thinking that it's from around 1957. It doesn't list a fragrance, so maybe this is the original one--whatever that was.

View attachment 153752

Last edited:
That's a great find, Tim! I think it must be the original Avon fragrance I've heard about (but never sniffed), although the carriage logo looks the same as the one on Tom's oldy-old bottle of Spicy. The bottle itself sure reminds one of vintage AV!

Welcome to the Avon Fan Club Tim!. That's a cool looking bottle. Does it smell similar to Old Spice?

That's a great find, Tim! I think it must be the original Avon fragrance I've heard about (but never sniffed), although the carriage logo looks the same as the one on Tom's oldy-old bottle of Spicy. The bottle itself sure reminds one of vintage AV!

Guys, thanks for the comments. I'm not really an A/S kind of person so I can't remember what Old Spice smells like. In fact, this is the only A/S that I own. I'm thinking that this is the original Spicy since it does smell that way and the label is similar to Hoosier Trooper's earlier photo. I did a quick search on ebay for Avon men's stuff and it seems that his bottle is from around 1963. If you look at the earlier, rounded bottles from 1950, mine is somewhere in between the two and has the same cap as the 1963 bottle.

Tom has gotten me into more stuff here on B&B than I can almost remember. First it was GEM's, then it was Schicks, now it's Avon. So Tom, to quote someone else (inaccurately it turns out if you look it up in wiki), "Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into!" :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

View attachment $laurel and hardy.jpg

Last edited:
The wife and I hit 5 thrift\resale shops yesterday and today I went to the local fleamarket at the mall. I did not find a single vintage Avon A\S bottle.:angry:

Top Bottom