What's new

Vintage Avon find

Nice, Willy! What's in 'em?

VANTASTIC 70s van. Full everest aftershave. I might keep this one, it has funk appeal and Everest smells good!
DOMINO decanter Full everest aftershave
"COLEMAN" latern (green) Full Wild country cologne
Country Latern (red) Full Wild country aftershave
Plaid Thermos Full Sweet Honesty Body Splash
Baby Owl- Full OCCUR! cologne
Green Christmas Stocking with red top- 50% full sweet honesty cologne- dont have correct box for this one
HARP- about-40-50% full Charisma cologne
Little Dream Girl (green with white head)- estimate half-3/4 full sweet honesty cologne - I dont have correct box for this one
CALIFORNIA (glass bottle with pink ribbon) Full "somewhere" EDC "1978 Anniversary Keepsake"

I really need to get rid of these things, taking up space LOL

Last edited:
That's an amazing find. Very cool. Is the board original to the bottles (Avon brand)?

Thanks, I was pretty surprised to come across this one. Yes, the board is original to the set. Its marked "Made Exclusively for the National Association of Avon Clubs for Avon Collectors"

Three more to add to the collection. The center one is a Captain's Lantern 1864 full of Oland AS and the chess piece is full of Spicy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

But their men's offerings have been decent at some point or other? Neither of my exes was into Avon, nor has any subsequent lady friend seemed to have been . .

Tom, you have access to one heck of a good Salvation Army. I've all but given up on finding shaving goods in the ones around here - and there are a lot of thrift stores around here.

-jim

There's actually several right around me, and they almost always have something.

Tom, you have access to one heck of a good Salvation Army. I've all but given up on finding shaving goods in the ones around here - and there are a lot of thrift stores around here.

-jim

OK, this is getting fun now. Yesterday evening found two more at local thrift stores. The Whale Oil Lamp is full up to the top row of beads, 85-90% I'd guess, with Wild Country and you can see the level of Oland in the chess piece. Not really sure I care for the Oland scent but for $1 I couldn't pass it up. The Wild Country was setting with several empty Avon decanters priced at $1.49, not really sure why it was only 69 cents.

Oh man I remember buying some Wild Country from a woman who sold Avon part time at my job. That stuff was nasty, but your bottle looks very nice though.

I heard they had an old children's shaving set with a bottle of aftershave that had Clubman in it...anyone ever heard of it?

OK, here's the latest that I've picked up, the first two I already have but couldn't pass them up fpr the price. Whale Oil lamp and a Remember When gas pump, both are in mint condition and 100% full of Wild Country. Next is probably my favorite since I'm a huge baseball fan, Fielder's Choice with the box and it's 100% full of Bracing Lotion. The last one is a Country Lantern in mint condition full of Wild Country, this is my first one of these.

The second picture is the obligatory shot of the prices.:thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

yeah, that's the problem with being $1. It really is hard to pass up. Tom, do you have your collection on a shelf or in their own room like texquill's Old Spice?

-jim

Jim, I got em scattered all over the place. The top of my dresser is covered, some are on an old hutch in the family room and my office at work is full of them. Plus, I have a large box setting in a closet. Ridiculous, ain't it?:blink:

All the vintage Avon aftershaves contain good ol' glycerin, and are great performers in my book. Wild Country is their oldest continuously-produced scent, and is one of only two splashes they produce today. It's frequently likened to the scent of Pinaud Clubman, but it's got more of a Stetson feel for me: a floral and citrus top with a sweet woodsy musk base.

I have enough in reserve to fuel my generator in case of an extended blackout. One needs light for shaving, after all. :001_smile

So, aside from the decanters, what do you guys think of the performance and scent of Wild Country AS? I know a place that sells the old avon stuff....some with the Wild Country still in it.

Wild Country smells a lot like Clubman, and Dana's Canoe. The vintage is a lot more potent than the current Avon product. The current Avon product while a great scent is not as rich smelling as the original. If you can get vintage Wild Country for a good price, by all means pick it up. Just test it out first: adverse storage conditions can cause a fragrance to turn, resulting in some really disgusting juice!!

Top Bottom