What's new

Vintage Avon find

Been awhile since I found any that was worth picking up but I ran across these yesterday at a little antique store that I've never been to before. $2 each and all are 100% full. I didn't have much cash with me so these are the only ones I got, but am planning a second trip back with a bit more money since there's a couple others I want.

From L-R 1902 Haynes Apperson with Blend 7 AS, DE Super Shaver with Sure Winner Bracing AS, Packard with Leather Cologne and a Cadillac with Excalibur AS.

This is the second DE decanter I have found, the other was boxed, and my second Haynes-Apperson with Blend 7, which is an outstanding scent.

proxy.php

Nice one, Tom. I'd like to find something like that Haynes-Apperson one, as Kokomo is my old stomping ground (and my dad is retired from Haynes Intl).

Good show, Tom (as usual)! I'm a big fan of Blend 7 also. I used the Sure Winner Bracing Lotion as an AS just once, and wasn't sure how I felt about it. Not much scent as I recall, and it seemed to be a stronger astringent. I think it's intended to be a body rub, but if so, it'd be strange to put it in the "Super Shaver" decanter, eh? I'll be giving it another try one of these days.

I visited my usual haunts yesterday, but only found overpriced and unboxed duplicates, so nothing came home with me. I may have to follow your cue and explore some new territory next weekend.

I just picked up a batch for 20 bucks.Most new in box or slight use demo's.
for the wife:
Skin So Soft bath oil in a glass sea shell NIB
Candid NIB
Rose shaped soap ,3 in a x-mas box
a lovely SSS bath oil decanter -vase style w/an intact wax seal
for ME:
Weather Station 6 oz Wild Country a/s half full
33 Pierce-Arrow 5 oz Deep Woods a/s NIB
Clint a/s 5 oz in the square bottle and tan-brown print box(slight use)
Pony Post 5 oz Leather (slight use)
Pony Post mini 1.5 oz Oland a/s NIB
Revolutionary War Cannon Blend 7 a/s 2 oz NIB

an empty german shepard and a Jefferson bust that had a tiny bit of Everest a/s.and a Arch E Bear brush and comb set(cute)NIB

I did not have any Clint or Blend 7 in my stash.Just as a quick observation: Clint-a sharp ,sweet leather.Blend 7- a softer British Sterling with a woody note.Also the Oland from this batch is much lighter in scent and complexity than the other 2 bottles that I have.Oland seems to have a reputation for varying scent.

This batch came from a guy who was selling stuff out of his 80 yr old aunts basement.She sold avon in the 60's and 70's.Apparently this was the last of it.

So, with another birthday coming up, the wifey asked me to do a little eBay shopping for myself. I haven't had much luck at local hunting of any collectible novelty decanters recently, but I took the opportunity to get some discontinued Avon things that caught my eye:

proxy.php

Here we have:
Lover Boy AS 3oz NIB - In the bottle it's a bright and nearly pure leather, no powder, maybe w/a hint of sweet citrus
Far Away for Men AS 3.4oz NIB - Mostly lavender with citrus and light florals, nice bottle
Jamoca Musk for Men Cologne 2.8oz NIB - As expected, it's musk, cocoa and coffee, I've been badly wanting some of this
Brisk Spice AS 4.5oz NIB - Up to now, I've only had one small example of this great mentholated OS knockoff

proxy.php

I've been searching for more of the fantastic Gentlemen's Regiment shaving soap, and finally found this slightly-discolored puck in a complete boxed set! The AS decanter is empty but smells like Spicy. The refillable talc is full and labeled Black Suede, but the fragrance is light-to-nonexistent. And now I've got a backup mug and brush for my existing pieces.

Quite the satisfying haul!

Found these at a flea market. They had several that I already have but these are two I've never seen before. The Casey's Lantern is maybe 1/3 full of Leather AS and the Golden Rocket 0-2-2 is completely full of Tai Winds AS. The finish on the lantern is kind of worn, the steam engine is in really great shape.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Found these at a flea market. They had several that I already have but these are two I've never seen before. The Casey's Lantern is maybe 1/3 full of Leather AS and the Golden Rocket 0-2-2 is completely full of Tai Winds AS. The finish on the lantern is kind of worn, the steam engine is in really great shape.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom,

That Golden Rocket is fantastic. Is there no end to what Avon made?

And Happy Birth Quarter to you!

-jim

And a Happy Birth Quarter to you as well, Jim!

So, the Casey's Lantern is a new one to you as well, John.

You mean there's three of us K1's in the Vintage Avon Obsession Club? That's practically astrological! I'm 47 today, but I grabbed the vintage Yardley for the birthday shave. Happy BQ all around, fellas.

Top Bottom