What's new

Vintage Avon find

Unfortunately that's my keyboard dyslexia. I have to proofread all my posts or there would be countless errors in them. I fixed a bunch already, I guess that one slipped through.

I had a number of those when I was a teenager because my cousin became an Avon lady and used those as gifts. Sadly, my face was a zit pit in those days and seldom could use it.

To be honest, I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread. Has anyone actually worn some of the vintage Avon fragrances? I just picked up the old Avon Leather in a First Edition (book-like) bottle, and I like it. Some of the current stuff (Driven Black, the recently discontinued Tomorrow, Herve Leger) is pretty darn good, I think.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have another awesome score to share. I found a bunch of Avon at an antique store in Las Vegas on my last trip all marked $3. However I was only traveling with carry on, so I passed. I went back last week prepared. They were marked down to $2!!! So I got as many as I thought I could safely pack in my checked bag: 16 in all. I passed on many others (but those mainly all had Wild Country). Most of what I got has Spicy and Tai Winds. Got back to the airport and found that 1 bottle had leaked slightly (I forgot to double check the caps when I packed), but none were broken. Score 1 for TSA and baggage handlers.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/thevez2/Aftershave/08-28-2011_6547.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/thevez2/Aftershave/08-28-2011_6546.jpg

These are my favorite. The old school Spicy items are the bomb.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/thevez2/Aftershave/08-28-2011_6548.jpg

And check out the Paid Stamp, I've seen picturtes of it, but didn't realize it actually had a functional rubber stamp on it. Too Cool!
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/thevez2/Aftershave/08-28-2011_6549.jpg

Nice, if you got a chance, could you post a few close up pictures of the lantern please?

Those are awesome Vez! I haven't had time to really look for the Avon lately, but I just got back from a quick trip where I found this at a Salvation Army store. $1.49 for a full bottle of Island Lime, which is one I didn't have. Smells really good, this one looks to be a bit more modern than some I've found.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Has anyone actually worn some of the vintage Avon fragrances?

Ummmm, yeah! All the time. They are better than many of the currently available frags form Avon or otherwise. Vintage Avon is what I use most of all.

Nice, if you got a chance, could you post a few close up pictures of the lantern please?
I'll see what I can do.

for a full bottle of Island Lime
Island lime is great. It just doesn't last very long on the skin. Kind of uncharacteristic of Avon scents.

To be honest, I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread. Has anyone actually worn some of the vintage Avon fragrances? I just picked up the old Avon Leather in a First Edition (book-like) bottle, and I like it. Some of the current stuff (Driven Black, the recently discontinued Tomorrow, Herve Leger) is pretty darn good, I think.

Heck yeah, I use them quite frequently!!

Assuming the bottle in question hasn't turned (from being store unboxed in direct sunlight, or by being exposed to extremes of heat, and cold) the juice will still be great quality stuff.

So far I have sampled:

-Wild Country
-Tai Winds
-Everest
-Oland
-Spicy
-Deep Woods

Wild Country still exists today, but it is somewhat water down compared with the vintage. So the vintage is a quite a bit better. I like it, and have a fairly large stock.

Of the reminder, I like Tai Winds the most, and Everest is quite pleasant as well.

Oland is a strange smoky concoction, Spicy is an Old Spice clone, and I am pretty sure my Deep Woods has turned.

At the $2-$3 price this stuff typically sells for in discount shops it is a total bargain when it hasn't turned.

I also happen to like quite a bit of the current Avon line: Mesmerize, Wild Country, and Black Suede are all in den. I eventually will purchase bottles of Black Suede Leather, and Musk Marine as well.

Last edited:
If it has turned, then dumping it out is about the only thing you can do. In all my finds, I've only seen one bottle that has turned. It was a rancid sticky mess.

If you still want to keep the bottle, just dump it, the bottle will still clean out nicely.

Very nice stuff, KJ, and I do love that "plain" old Spicy bottle and talc.

Tom, OUTSTANDING buy on that Island Lime! I've got the 3 decorative decanters for that one (Super Cycle, Straight Eight, Judge's Gavel), but still haven't found the nice 3-sided bottle you scored. There's another sweet bottle with a woven cladding I'd love to collect as well. Unfortunately, like almost all lime splashes, the scent just doesn't hang around, but it's great while it lasts!

Felt compelled to rescue this banged-up old tin of Avon After-Shower Powder (all-purpose really, since it mentions use after shaving on the back). Also found a slightly-aged version of a current product, Black Suede Cologne Spray, which will fit nicely into the rest of my Black Suede set (Aftershave splash, Roll-On Deodorant, Hair/Body Wash).

proxy.php

Pay no attention to the $5 Old Spice refill puck, which doesn't really belong here. :001_smile

I didn't hit the monthly Flowery Branch antique show today, but I'm heading there tomorrow so I might find a few others.

I didn't hit the monthly Flowery Branch antique show today, but I'm heading there tomorrow so I might find a few others.

Well, not too much today. I almost bought an unboxed "Touring T" decanter full of Excalibur AS, but demurred. I guess I'm getting horribly picky after so much collecting.

I did spend $10 on a pair of 3-piece Avon grooming sets, current products:
Mesmerize for Men: Hair/Body Wash, After Shave Conditioner, Roll-on Deodorant (backup)
Black Suede Hair/Body Wash (backup), Black Suede LEATHER After Shave Conditioner, Musk Marine Roll-on Deodorant (backup)

I found another Pot Belly stove today that is full of Excalibur After Shave for $1.99 at a local Thrift Store. I don't believe I have any of this scent, which is very nice.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom