What's new

Uneven spine?

I have a couple of razors that don't sit flat on the hone. When they are flat on the spine the edge doesn't touch the hone near the heel on both razors. They rock back and forth from the spine to the edge. How do I proceed with honing them?

I have a couple of razors that don't sit flat on the hone. When they are flat on the spine the edge doesn't touch the hone near the heel on both razors. They rock back and forth from the spine to the edge. How do I proceed with honing them?

It is hard to tell from your description, but I would make sure that you are clear of the razor's shoulder when you are laying the razor on the stone.

A picture of what you are seeing might help a lot. It could well be what is posted above, or something else. :001_smile

So I played with the rolling x stroke for a couple of days and I just couldn't get consistent results.
Definitely a user error as I've read a lot about others using it with great results.
So I did some more searching and I found a post where Lynn said he uses circles at a 45 degree angle (just to clarify this is not the angle relative to the edge and hone rather the razor sits flat the same as a normal x stroke it's just turned to a 45 degree angle heel forward, also works great going toe forward as well).
Anyway the results were great I used it on a Dorco 600 grit stone with slurry and it put a great even bevel on both sides and it actually flatten the razor out (the spine and edge touch at the same point on the hone simultaneously).

I know that was kind of a long explanation but thanks for the help fellas. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom