What's new

My Gillette Ranger - purchased today

I had some extra time today so I stopped by a few antique stores in the Milwaukee area to see if I could score a Gillette SS - 1940's style. A few shops had some old GE's but not what I was looking for. I drove past an antique stained glass window repair shop and stopped for the hell of it because I noted a few cases near the window. I walked in and saw a ton of stained glass stuff, some old beer signs, some old records and 1-2 cases of old post cards & stuff. There was a guy working there who was at least 80 and I asked, "By chance, would you have any old Gillette razors? The kind that are twist to open from the bottom?" He replied that he used to use that kind as a kid and he remembers seeing a box somewhere in the back. After a few minutes, he brought out the razor, no box. He mentioned he thought it wasn't used and right away I thought it was a superspeed - brand new! I sheepishly asked how much and he told me $8. I told him I had to run to the bank up the block, please hold it for me for a few minutes. By the time I got back, he had located the original box, instructions & the blade that was in the box. Turns out it wasn't a SS but the Ranger. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my whole life....dumb luck walking into the right place at the right time.

By chance, if someone has any idea on how to clean the head a bit. The razor rested on the leather in the box and some of it is stuck to the head. I tried rubbing alcohol with no success. I was going to reach for the soft soap but thought I'd ask the gents here for some thoughts.

s~s

i just bought a 41 ranger tech myself, you can see some pics i posted in a thread below. to clean it up i boiled it for about 10 minutes, brushed it with an old toothbrush and toothpaste, washed it off good and wiped it down with alcohol, let it dry and then scrubbed it with wet tin foil (said to return some shine i believe).

I'll be intrigued to hear how these Rangers and SuperSpeeds shave: He Who Must Not Be Named seems to be gaga over them, and I'm intrigued enough by all the recent purchases to be feeling the itch.

-Rich

an update:

the name inside the cardboard & gillette box reads: francis xavier bufka

a quick google search shows francis was born in milwaukee 1917, died in 2000 and was a staff seargant (air force) during WW2.

crazy......

s~s

SS:

Excellent find! It's a great feeling when you stumble onto something as pristine as that for such a great price!! I'm envious. Poking around antique shops has paid off more than once for me.

i'm still shocked by the whole thing. c'mon - who would have really guessed a find like this in a stained glass repair shop? i am sure this is a chance score but i have been been bitten by the bug.

s~s

soulshine said:
I had some extra time today so I stopped by a few antique stores in the Milwaukee area to see if I could score a Gillette SS - 1940's style. A few shops had some old GE's but not what I was looking for. I drove past an antique stained glass window repair shop and stopped for the hell of it because I noted a few cases near the window. I walked in and saw a ton of stained glass stuff, some old beer signs, some old records and 1-2 cases of old post cards & stuff. There was a guy working there who was at least 80 and I asked, "By chance, would you have any old Gillette razors? The kind that are twist to open from the bottom?" He replied that he used to use that kind as a kid and he remembers seeing a box somewhere in the back. After a few minutes, he brought out the razor, no box. He mentioned he thought it wasn't used and right away I thought it was a superspeed - brand new! I sheepishly asked how much and he told me $8. I told him I had to run to the bank up the block, please hold it for me for a few minutes. By the time I got back, he had located the original box, instructions & the blade that was in the box. Turns out it wasn't a SS but the Ranger. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my whole life....dumb luck walking into the right place at the right time.

By chance, if someone has any idea on how to clean the head a bit. The razor rested on the leather in the box and some of it is stuck to the head. I tried rubbing alcohol with no success. I was going to reach for the soft soap but thought I'd ask the gents here for some thoughts.

s~s

To remove any stuck on leather or glue. Get some Goo Gone at any hardware store, pour some in a small cup and soak the razor head for 10 to 15 minutes
wipe the razor head with a paper towel and I'm sure the old leather that ia on the razor will come off.

Stanley

never tried the stuff and im not knocking the product at all but be wary of what chemicals are in anything you put on the nickel finish, it would be sad to damage the finish on such a nice find. wish i had one like that, wait... lol good luck

I may be wrong here, but I thought the primary component of goo gone is orange peel juice, or something to that effect. I understand that it is supposed to a very delicate product.

Great find, I bet it shaves great.

I don't think Francis was a SSgt in the Air Force during WWII. Probably sometime later. Or perhaps he was in the Army Air Corps and the Google ref is way off.

Doesn't a little history make it more special?

Top Bottom