What's new

Are you kidding me?

First, I don't wear colognes as often as I once did. In fact, rarely do I wear them. But this A.M. for some reason, I decided to daub a bit on. I reached for an old favorite, Monogram by Ralph Lauren. The scent reminded me just why I liked it so well, but the bottle is almost empty. Time to re-order. It wasn't available on the first place I looked, so I Googled, found it...

$499.00 for 4 oz. :eek:

I guess I could save a few dollars and buy a 1.8 oz. bottle for $299.00 :ohmy:

Looks like I'll stick with Xeyrus for now.

Mr C --

I had a 95% full bottle that I sold a year ago for $150 to an end user. I could have put it on eBay and some speculator would have snatched it up and turned it. I sold it to a Basenotes member who would personally enjoy it. My wife really didn't like the scent, so while I liked it, I never wore it. I had purchased the Monogram new in a Department store in 1987. The bottle was in really nice shape without bathroom fuzz or gunk or growth. Yes, $500 for a 4oz bottle is the going rate --if it can be found.

Monogram was produced by Ralph Lauren in a single production run in 1987, and distributed to their sales channel; largely Department stores. After a few months, Lauren recalled all the Monogram products (shower gel, Cologne, EdT, Deodorant, etc) and had all the merchants return their stock on hand to the manufacturer. Production of the Monogram product line ceased and the offering was abruptly discontinued.

Although there has been speculation, nobody knows why this occured. Because Monogram was only availble for a few months and because the existing stocks were returned to Ralph Lauren, it is rarely encountered today; rarer still as NOS with packaging intact.

Good Luck.

-- John Gehman

It's expensive, but I think you'll find scents by Amouage compare (price wise).

Their newest offering is 50 ml for 145 Euros.

Equivalent to 1.7 oz for $170. (at the current exchange rates).

That equates to 4 oz for $400.

Top Bottom