What's new

Rapaired handle crack on Old Type

So I got this beater of an Old Type with a big crack in the handle for cheap so that I could try out an Old Type. It's got the typical small crack at the head end, but the rather large crack at the ball end bothered me because I could feel it when I held the razor, and while I was cleaning it the ball popped off.

Considering there wasn't much to lose with this piece I decided to try solder to fill the crack and reattach the ball. All I had on hand was an electronics soldering iron, and I quickly discovered that an old brass razor is very effective heat sync. I would never be able to melt the solder into the crack with an electronics iron alone, but fortunately I had a nice large electric heating element in my kitchen. so I laid the handle on the stove burner set at 6 and let it get nice hand hot, then tried to smooth the lumpy solder down into the crack, and all around the joint where the ball slides into the handle. It came out pretty lumpy, but a minute or so with a small file took care of that. It's not exactly a thing of beauty, but it's sturdy, and it feels nice in the hand again, what more could I ask of a tired old razor like this? Oh yeah it also shaves real nice :thumbup:

Before:
full

After:
full

Detail:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! I also considered it research. Using silver solder and a proper torch and taking my time, I bet I could do a very nice job if the need arose. With a zillion cracked razors out there it seems shame not to repair some of them. Still plenty of broken ones for those who prefer unrestored examples. I bet there are plenty jewelers out there who could do a particularly nice job.

Nice work. I was expecting a hideous looking blob of solder on the handle, but this turned out well.

Nice work. I was expecting a hideous looking blob of solder on the handle, but this turned out well.

It did look hideous before I filed it down, but the solder is softer than the brass, so it wasn't too tough to take it down with a file. I actually started with a small file I have and finished it with a nail file. I didn't want to smooth it out too much though. the scratches take the place of the knurling.

Hey, you did a great job - well done.

I too had one much like yours. A beater that cost $5.00. It shaves great so I thought not much to lose if I mess it up. I pulled the ends off the handle and filled the interior with epoxy. So it sealed the cracks from the inside and cemented the ends permanently to the handle. Worked like a charm.

Top Bottom