What's new

Tallow Based soaps

I would like to acquire some tallow and wool fat based soaps. I have noticed that soaps like Mitchell Wool Fat has a steep price. Recommendations for a more moderatrely priced tallow or wool fat soap would be helpful.

Or just buy the Arko stick and smash it into a mug = instant puck. It is soft enough to work into any container.

Cella, P.160, Sir Irisch Moos, and Tabac are some other to look for. And if you can find some vintage Williams, it is good too.

Arko is cheap and awesome!
But seriously, spring for some Queen Charlotte shaving soap (the maker is a member here) - out of the many many soaps and creams I have tried it is my favourite by a long shot. The best scent and lather I've found to date. You can buy a sampler pack to give them a whirl.

You can get MWF for about $7 a puck from several sources in the UK. Buy several at once and you can stay well below $10 delivered to the U.S.

I would like to acquire some tallow and wool fat based soaps. I have noticed that soaps like Mitchell Wool Fat has a steep price. Recommendations for a more moderatrely priced tallow or wool fat soap would be helpful.

Wool fat is an old name for lanolin. Lanolin is not, however, a fat but a wax and cannot be used as the base for soap. Tallow is a fat produced from either cattle or sheep.

The humble Palmolive "Classic" shave stick has tallow, is very reasonably priced, and makes wonderful lather. Just get 2 and grate into a bowl.

Just got a tub of Cella shipped to me for $13 and some change from WCS. So far, so good. Palmolive is excellent as well.

Considering how long MWF lasts it isn't very expensive. Actually most tallow based soaps are relatively inexpensive if you consider that. Some even lower priced but awesome performers have been mentioned but I would add Speick to that and you could do a WTB for some Cella or P-160 which should be inexpensive.

The humble Palmolive "Classic" shave stick has tallow, is very reasonably priced, and makes wonderful lather. Just get 2 and grate into a bowl.

Try it as a stick first, you might like it. I load my brush off the stick and then make lather in a bowl. And then on days when I'm in a hurry I rub the stick on my face and then face lather.

Clayton

But seriously, spring for some Queen Charlotte shaving soap (the maker is a member here) - out of the many many soaps and creams I have tried it is my favourite by a long shot. The best scent and lather I've found to date. You can buy a sampler pack to give them a whirl.

+1 on the Queen Charlotte Shaving Cream Soap. It's some good stuff.

Top Bottom