What's new

Is this shaving related?

A friend of mine got something in a lot of shaving equipment. It appears to be bone or ivory, and is about 8 inches long, round and about 1/2-5/8 thick on one end and tapers to a point on the other. It also feels a little heavy for it's size.

Can anyone help identify it? (if this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize in advance)

proxy.php

proxy.php

I can try. Is there a way to tell if it is whale bone? It has a "grain" to it, and it feels heavy for it's size.

I don't know how large it is, but if it is whale bone, it would not be very heavy at all. Bone is quite light.

Anybody got a link handy to that scrimshaw catalogue site? They have information on the different materials.

I thought whale bone was rather dense by comparison to other bone. Either way it has to be solid and no hollow to perform the intended task, so it should be about as heavy as wood.

We all know how much wood weighs! Right?

Phil

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anybody got a link handy to that scrimshaw catalogue site? They have information on the different materials.

I thought whale bone was rather dense by comparison to other bone. Either way it has to be solid and no hollow to perform the intended task, so it should be about as heavy as wood.

We all know how much wood weighs! Right?

Phil

Whale bone can be very dense and heavy.

"Whalebone is distinguished by dense weight & vascular grain."

From here on Fids and bodkins;
http://reviews.ebay.com/The-Difference-Between-Fids-and-Bodkins_W0QQugidZ10000000004243324

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone. This is very interesting. Getting a better picture is kind of difficult, we both have crappy camera's......

Top Bottom