What's new

Pasted stropping a Feather blade

I've been using my KAI loaded with a Feather SuperPro the last couple of weeks or so.

The first 2-3 shaves were "factory fresh" edge, super sharp, a couple of weepers (I hadn't used the razor in a while, and also was simply using the disposable due to wanting a couple of "quick" shaves...). I then decided to revisit my previous experience with using a hanging Chromox strop on the edge.

I put a layer of tape on the razor head for the sake of protection (if you have a plated Feather RG, this would pretty much be mandatory....). And due to the geometry of the head, I had to leave the strop pretty slack to ensure the egde was actually making contact with teh strop. If held taut like when using a traditional straight, the edge will likeley not make any contact whatsoever. By taking a look at the glean of a bright light off of the very edge, I could monitor the progress I made every few strops or so, and see the edge refinement in progress.

Anyhow, as I had experienced the first time I tried this many moons ago, I got a fantastic shave out of the chromoxed Feather blade. Really, really great shave. Not nearly as finicky as the factory fresh edge, no weepers, no feeling as if I had just peeled back a layer of skin as sometimes happens when too much pressure is applied when shaving with a Feather loaded straight.

How long can I keep a single blade going? I'm not sure. I'm on shave #8 with this blade (2-3 prior to stropping, the rest afterwards), and today's shave was as good as any I've had. Since I;m not too worried about wearing out a disposable blade, I've been giving it a return trip to the pasted strop every couple of shaves. Might as well keep it in tip-top shape, right?

I highly recommend trying this out, all you Feather users!

Number one-it gives a fantastic shave! Really, no harshness, super close shave, no weepers, no bites.

Number two-with the recent price hikes on Feather blades at many outlets, making the blades last longer is a good idea.

Number three-you get to strop your Feather! I don't know about you guys, but I like stropping. So this is a good excuse to do so.:001_cool:

Number four-if you don't like the result, pull that blade out, and bin it!:thumbup1:

I use a flat cotton canvas belt loaded with chromox/0.5um diamond, and it works like a charm. It would seem that a hanging strop is a requirement, due to the aforementioned head geometry

Give it a try!

Interesting.

Do you think regular stropping(un-pasted) would have any effect at all?

I don't know. I'm not willing to subject my leather strops to that kind of treatment (my KAI has a jagged sort of spine architecture).

It may help a tiny bit, but really, I think it is the finish that the paste imbues the edge with that really makes it shine.

Interesting report. Maybe you would also be game to try the Second Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

Interesting indeed!

With the pasted stropping, that should be a breeze. Not sure if I'll officially sign up, since I started back on the 14th with mine, giving me a 2 week headstart, and my other razors will be crying out for my attention...

I've always wanted to try a Personna 74 injector blade in the KAI to see what all the fuss is about.

Update:

About 14 shaves in so far.

The secondary bevel has been obliterated, but the edge is as fine as can be. I can probably keep this blade going a couple of months like this, or longer....:w00t:

Yesterday's shave felt perhaps a touch too refined an edge, so I taped up the head (to protect it, not to change the angle), spaced the blade out a little further than normal, and gave the blade a few laps on the 1um lapping film over two sheets of paper.

That brought the bevel right back to it's original form! From my measurements, the angle should now be about 24 degrees, where the factory edge is 25degrees.

I am going to give this a try. I got a Feather Pro blade that was "too sharp" when new, but after stropping it on a towel (just holding the blade on the back) it nocked out the "harshness" of the blade, and today's shave was not as close, but with zero razor burn. I got a leather strop loaded with 0.5 Micron CrO dry honing compound (from handamerican), so I am "game" to try this out. My razor is the DX, but I think I will still do the tape anyway.

Top Bottom