What's new

IMHO Blade angle just as personal as blade preference.

IMHO Blade angle is going to be different for everyone, there is no single angle that will work for everyone.

I use a 50-55 degree angle and i get irritation free zero tugging shaves. While the next person may use a 30 degree angle for the same result, or the next person using 45 degree for the same result.

The videos i see on blade angle recommend that the blade be almost parallel to the skin while shaving, while my angle produces more of a scraping motion with the blade. This also makes for some inability to use adjustable razors on 1 or 2 since the blade is too close to the bar to do ANYTHING at the angle i shave at.

Why does this work perfectly for me? i don't know, but it does.

Interesting observation. I'm surprised you can shave at such an angle, but it is good to read that it works for you. I have great luck with my DE's, but am searching for a great angle with my straights.

IMHO Blade angle is going to be different for everyone, there is no single angle that will work for everyone.

I use a 50-55 degree angle and i get irritation free zero tugging shaves. While the next person may use a 30 degree angle for the same result, or the next person using 45 degree for the same result.

The videos i see on blade angle recommend that the blade be almost parallel to the skin while shaving, while my angle produces more of a scraping motion with the blade. This also makes for some inability to use adjustable razors on 1 or 2 since the blade is too close to the bar to do ANYTHING at the angle i shave at.

Why does this work perfectly for me? i don't know, but it does.

I think the videos are important in that they show you what it looks like when you shave yourself. You start off more or less copying what you see and then with that foundation established you will likely start experimenting to see if some variation of that routine works better for you.

If you're getting the shave you want, you're doin' it right! :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It depends if you are looking at the blade angle vs skin or the angle of the razor handle vs skin...

In all cases, yes, YMMV...

It depends if you are looking at the blade angle vs skin or the angle of the razor handle vs skin...

In all cases, yes, YMMV...

Geesh, I find myself agreeing with Luc once again. :ohmy: Also, take into account that different razors take a different angle. For example, my FB and slim are very different in contrast to my Mergresses.

I think the videos are important in that they show you what it looks like when you shave yourself. You start off more or less copying what you see and then with that foundation established you will likely start experimenting to see if some variation of that routine works better for you.

If you're getting the shave you want, you're doin' it right! :thumbup1:

This +1

I see many people say "i'm using the same angle i saw on the video" and everyones response should be: "thats just for reference, you must find the angle that works for you"

There is no "perfect" angle that works for everyone. Sure, i use different angles for different razors, but when i use my Progress on 3 the handle is ALMOST parallel to my face, and when i switch to my Black Tip SS the handle is only slightly higher, maybe 5 degrees.

The safety guard is there for a reason, i rest the guard against my face and let it hold the blade where its supposed to be.

tbh, if it is cutting hairs, you are using the DE close to the angle it was designed for.

handle angle ≠ blade angle ≠ head angle

When I was having trouble with my open comb razor (it was leaving comb tracks in my lather), Luc suggested my angle was too shallow. I found that my angle with all my razors was too shallow. When I raised the angle, my problems went away and the quality of my shaves increased.

I just took my Futur and looked at the angle of the handle during shaving. It is close to 50 degrees (handle angle) but the blade angle is closer to 30 degrees at my usual 6.5 setting.

Codfish

Last edited:
As a newbie I can agree in my trial and error, I start moving the handle more towards my face as the number of times i reduce my beard.

Basically just trying to reduce irritation.. this is my trial and error method but requires alot of re-lathering and going over my face again.

tbh, if it is cutting hairs, you are using the DE close to the angle it was designed for.

handle angle ≠ blade angle ≠ head angle

I use my razor moreso the number 4 picture in that topic. Yes, the razor will cut hairs if you are CLOSE to a good angle, but since i've switched to my extreme angle i can do one WTG pass and i'm presentable for work.

Top Bottom