What's new

On a Serious Budget. . .

I want some nice things. This is a problem because I am putting myself through college, and that doesn't leave much disposable income. I have already spent most of what I've allocated as spendable on RADs and my new brush, but my tuition just got processed and I paid my bills up to March, and amazingly I am left with a (very small) surplus in my checking account.

Let's say I have about $200 (I said it was small) to spend on whatever I want for the foreseeable future. Are there any nice watches I can get, or should I wait til I have more I'm willing to invest? Maybe some sunglasses?

I am really hard on my stuff (read: I break everything eventually), so I don't want to go too fragile. thanks!

I want some nice things. This is a problem because I am putting myself through college, and that doesn't leave much disposable income. I have already spent most of what I've allocated as spendable on RADs and my new brush, but my tuition just got processed and I paid my bills up to March, and amazingly I am left with a (very small) surplus in my checking account.

Let's say I have about $200 (I said it was small) to spend on whatever I want for the foreseeable future. Are there any nice watches I can get, or should I wait til I have more I'm willing to invest? Maybe some sunglasses?

I am really hard on my stuff (read: I break everything eventually), so I don't want to go too fragile. thanks!

Seiko makes some nice watches in that price range. Christopher Ward also has some nice dress watches in the 200 to 250 range. If you want non-fragile i would go with a Seiko Diver watch for about 170.00. Just my opinion

I'd hold off on fancy sunglasses.

You're in college. I'd save the extra cash for beer or food or a nicer date.

Honestly, I'd hold onto your cash. I spent more on stuff I didn't really need in college than I should have and most of it I never use or have gotten rid of. I had one pair of nice sunglasses (Oakley) and a few sports watches (Nike, and an Oakley post graduation) that I still have.

I agree with holding on to your money.
Do the research on the watches. Have a look at Citizen, Seiko, Bulova, ESQ there are a few you can find used even. Research the heck out of them.
Get it out of your system and you'll still have your money.

Then when a real deal pops up, you can spring into action (if you must).

thanks for all the suggestions guys. I would probably be better served saving my money, but I'm still going to do some research and see if I can't find a killer deal on something. I've just gone my whole life without having any real luxury items, and wet shaving makes me feel like a millionaire, so I want more fanciness. . .

It might not fit the forum's idea of "nice" but you might look at a decent quality nice looking watch. I have a Pulsar Alarm Chrnongraph that I really like. It cost me about $50 on Amazon. I've found a lot of watches on there are 50-75% off the retail price, which only tells me the markup was too high to begin with. I think mine listed for $160ish. It won't impress any serious watch snob, but to the casual observer it is a very nice watch, and for my purposes it is perfect. It's already lasted me 3 years, and I'm kinda hard on watches. Timex and the like never last me more than a year. My point is that you can get a nice looking quality timepiece for a lot less than the high end status symbol Swiss watches. Oh also the chicks dig it. :thumbup1: The other watch I think is kinda nifty for not a lot of money is the Seiko 5. It's a basic classic looking automatic wind watch which can sometimes be had for around $70.

So my recommendation would be to buy a decent watch in the $50 range and save your money.

I'd recommend holding on to your extra cash. You never know when you might need it. You could always wait until summer when you'll have a bit more extra money (I assume you'll still be working over the summer).

I'd recommend holding on to your extra cash. You never know when you might need it. You could always wait until summer when you'll have a bit more extra money (I assume you'll still be working over the summer).

Ditto.

A $200 watch is something you reward yourself with when you get a job after college.

This reminds me of a money lesson I saw once:
[youtube]nFY0HBkUm8o[/youtube]

"But you haven't EATEN YET!"

I have a reserve of emergency money in my savings account that is not included in this equation, really right now I need to decide if I want to wait until summer when I will have a lot more to spend.

I now need to figure out if there exists a watch under $200 that looks nice, is durable and water resistant would be a plus, it will likely be exposed to every sort of weather. I guess screw the sunglasses for now, I can always get some knock offs from the bay

thanks everyone

just watched that cosby clib, apartment in manhattan $400 a month!? could this EVER have been true?

And just to add, when I'm working full time, which I'm not now because of school, I make about the same amount that my single parent who raised me and my sibling did. Since I have no family to look after (single parent remarried & retired) that leaves me feeling like a very rich man. $200 to me is a ton of money to spend on something that is literally useless, like a watch ( i have a cell phone that tells time just fine ) I just want to own my first useless luxury item, that's all:thumbup1:

If you're comfortable spending it and will be able to survive and eat...go for it.

Definitely wait on the sunglasses...you're in college...they'll get lost, stolen or broken.

I bought one expensive pair in my lifetime. Went to the beach, got knocked off a rock with a big wave that smashed me in the face...well, the salt water stripped the polarized coating off the lenses..they were suddenly not sunglasses anymore...just glasses. I do cheap ones now. I do go through enough to justify going cheap.

I would look into a suit, shirts. Get the things that get you through interviews. Get the through the interview and get the job that gets you the nicer watch and sunglasses.

Hold on to the cash for now. I can't think of much in the $200 range that would represent a true "luxury item", certainly not any watches.

Last edited:
I'd personally go for a luxury item that is useful. :thumbup1: A nice pair of shoes come to mind . . .

As shoes and a watch are used every day I think either is a good choice.

personally I would go for a good quality pair of boots (which I am planning on getting soon) that you can break in and have for life as you can get them resoled and reheeled.

Save the money or get a simple black leather banded watch, white face. You can't go wrong with that and it works in almost any setting. Kenneth Cole (not reaction) makes some nice looking watches you can get online for about $100. I was given one for graduation 4 years ago and all I've done is replace the battery. It's worn great and I get compliments on it (spend money on a nice tailored dress shirt and a suit first, or else no one will get to see the watch anyway).

Kind of what I'm talking about.

Black Face

Last edited:
As shoes and a watch are used every day I think either is a good choice.

personally I would go for a good quality pair of boots (which I am planning on getting soon) that you can break in and have for life as you can get them resoled and reheeled.

Agreed. I think shoes might be a really good idea, as they are both useful and lasting. Good shoes, more than watches these days, are a subtle signal that you know quality goods (and few of us can afford a truly great watch, but many of us could, if we saved, even afford a pair of John Lobbs once in our life).

But you definitely need more than $200 for the "right" pair. Allen Edmonds and Alden (which I think are most appropriate for you, even twice your budget doesn't get you Lobb nor would you likely have occasion to wear them anyway as a college student) are going to set you back at $350-500. The Alden Indy boots would be fine for a college student, while my current personal faves Allen Edmonds's Bayfields would also be great and are very versatile, as they can be worn with more formal clothing. So maybe just save up a couple of hundred more dollars over the next semester and go shoe or boot shopping?

Top Bottom