What's new

ASB recommendations...

A bit of background: Since I've begun to use a WTG/ATG combination for my daily shave, I have taken to using an aftershave balm before the splash goes on. It seems to leave my face nicely smooth...

I have used Nivea Sensitive Skin ASB, and am currently using Bath & Body Works Elixir Green, but they seem to have discontinued that product. So I'm looking for some recommendations for a similar lotion/balm type product to buy. I can still get the Nivea locally, but would like some other suggestions. And please, let's keep the price down, say, $10 or less?

Thanks in advance, folks...

SCS Avocado oil balm. I could dry shave with a dirty spoon and this would fix any irritation.

I'm not sure about the spoon part, but it is good stuff and I like the smell. SCS's Sahara is also very good. Just about everything SCS offers is good.

LEA aftershave balm is really rather nice, but isn't frequently mentioned. Shave a Buck used to sell it, but I'm not sure anymore.

For under $10 those are my recommendations.

444 ASB at www.vintagescent.com I think it's under $10 with shipping from Portugal included. Great, vintage ASB, with a little menthol.

+1

444 is great. I used it this morning with 4711 AS to make 444711.

You put a pea sized drop of this gel in your palm then splash a litlle AS on top and combine. It creates a hybrid asb/splash that just plain rocks! Very soothing/bracing and no tackiness.

Aqua Velva makes a balm that is good.

Avon makes balms in a couple of their best selling fragrances. I use the Wild Country balm at times.

The most soothing I have found is Proraso. Not sure if it is under $10 though.
It is sold at Target.

GFT Skin Food is definitely over $10

I use Afta and I just love it. It's not fancy, but it works. It comes in at under $2 and you can get it at almost any drug store.

I've also used Gillette after shave lotion. Not too shabby for $2-$3. But I prefer Afta.

I am also trying out Avon right now. My Grandmother gave me a "Mesmerize" Kit that included their after shave conditioner. It works well, but my complaint with it is that it has hardly any scent. I might try spraying a shot of the cologne in it to see what that does.

If you like menthol, Barbasol has a good ASB in their Pacific Rush scent. Very cooling.

With ASBs, I stay cheap. I tried AOS ASBs and hated them.

If you want to spend a bit more money then I would recommend the Clinique Post Shave blam. Also the Proraso Liquid Aftershave Balm is another excelent choice.

Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave is an excellent balm. I think it goes for about $16.00.

The Saint Charles Shave aftershave milks (basically lighter balms) are excellent as well. They sell for around $10, plus shipping.

I picked up a bottle of AFTA at Wally World this weekend, and tried it this morning. Interesting stuff. Nice soft fragrance, goes on a bit stiffer, so to speak, than my Bath & Body Works ASB, but not bad. Left my face feeling very nice...

I'll be ordering some new soaps in the next couple of months, so I think that I'll wait to try the SCS ASB's until then, and buy soap and ASB both. I haven't tried the SCS soaps yet, either...

I use Afta as well but I don't wear a balm every day. If my face is drier, then I will put on baby oil after I shave and rub it in well. Let it sit a while and then apply an alcohol based AS to my face. It seems to leave just the perfect amount of barrier oil without looking too oily. It did take some experimentation to get this routine down though.

SCS Avocado oil balm and Olivia Seife's Aftershave balm in whatever scent to your liking are the only 2 I use. I'm mainly a splash person, but found both these balms to be excellent.

Top Bottom