What's new

An Anglo/American Gillette Aristocrat Hybrid

A Gillette Prime Minister?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And yes, I shave with it. God willing it will travel down my bloodline.

It came in the cellophane. It took quite some time before I had the gumption to remove it. What's not pictured is a little beauty mark of tarnish on the corner of one of the doors. Seeing it was a relief! It made it easier to shave with it.

At the end of the day it's meant to shave! I won't deny its destiny!

Thanks for the looks. And I feel like a look of surprise from Mr. Razor himself is an honor! But I was just throwing it out there to show you that they're still out there. And good luck!

:thumbup1:

very cool! not sure I understand why it's anglo/american...

Oh, because the head is a British Aristocrat #15, and the handle is an American Aristocrat from the 40s (no knurling on the bands). Anglo-American is just an occasionally used term for something jointly British and American.

EDIT: And that weirdness is partly why I took these pictures to begin with. I think most people would call it a Frankenrazor if they didn't see the cellophane!

Last edited:
Hiya,

Thanks for those unique pics of a great looking razor. Man, I had no idea those even existed. Heh, I can understand your relief at finding that tiny blemish......I'd feel the same way.

Crats on finding that unicorn like item,

Martin

Oha, it looks very smooth and I hope it shaves too. BTW how was untarnishable rhodium as advertised tarnished?

That's a really good question. I figure it has two possible answers. One, the head is not actually plated in rhodium, but nickel. I know that later British Aristocrats will have nickel heads and rhodium handles. Two, there was some sort of impurity or issue with, or between, the nickel plating under the rhodium and it bubbled or flaked off. It had a tell-tale blue-green ring around it. Not sure what that means, but I've seen it before on a vintage President.

And yes, this razor effectively killed my RAD. I sold everything else off except a sentimental favorite to rotate. It hits a lot of tick marks: vintage, NOS, solid base plate, open comb, tto, rhodium, British, American, weird, and it shaves very nicely.

When all's said and done, the last one is what matters the most.

Have smooth shaves everybody.

Top Bottom