What's new

CAD drawing of razor?

I remember seeing a thread here, where someone had a computer model of a razor. Does anybody remember who did that? Or know what kind of place I would go to to have that done?
I have one here, and I would like to find a way to get it down, precisely, in 3D, without doing anything destructive to the razor.

Anyone with CAD experience could easily produce a razor model. What do you intend to use this drawing for? Are you hoping to take it someplace to have it manufactured?

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, a la the "I'll tell you tomorrow" thread.
I don't know if it would be feasible, but I do have some alterations in mind that would make a cool old razor even cooler. Yes, CNC milling would be the ultimate goal of getting the drawings.
The whole idea could be just too expensive to take on, either because it's beyond my means or because the cost per razor would be too great.

From a mass production standpoint I am pretty sure that Gillette used rolled-to-shape profiles and then cut the pieces apart. This really is the easiest way to hold the tolerances required.

Phil

Is that a process better suited for producing millions?
Because I would be surprised if what I have in mind would go anywhere beyond a few thousand produced.

I think that was in a thread about what design we'd like to see if we made our own razor.
If that's the one, it was quite a while ago. I'm thinking summer 2010.
I don't know how you'd find it now.
I posted in that thread, but I can't go that far back to look.

i posted in that thread as well. i had used google sketch to generate the drawings, but they were far from perfect. i did some additional drawings in solidworks, but i believe those went away when i re-formatted my hard-drive.

if you have the right software, it would take you less than an hour to come up with some decent drawings.

if you have the right software, it would take you less than an hour to come up with some decent drawings.

lol. I either have the wrong software, or I suck out loud at it.
I tried the stuff from emachineshop, and the trial version of varicad. I can't even figure out how to make a simple hole in one of their screw templates.

If I were still in school I could whip up a razor drawing in Solidworks, but now that I am graduated and jobless I don't have access to the software. I think I have a student version of Solid Edge kicking around somewhere. If I find it I could probably produce a model in my spare time. Which razor design are your alterations based on?

AWESOME! thanks!

Which razor design are your alterations based on?

This one.
proxy.php

My alterations would make it possible to put out one single tto handle, to use as a base for accepting just about any kind of head. Threading on the shaft to allow for future additions of adjustment dial, changes to construction to allow for complete and easy disassembly for cleaning, replacing parts, and upgrades. Changes to the cap to allow for add-ons for accepting a single edge blade, perhaps even for an injector blade (without the injection method for loading, though).

Last edited:
thats a pretty serious undertaking, but it's doable, any chance we could get detail pics and scale pics?

Here's where the problem is. The razor isn't all that complicated - not nearly as complex as a standard TTO, with all the moving parts that have to be perfectly aligned to work properly. But it is not disassemblable, not without - IMO - doing permanent damage to the razor, and I really like this razor. I believe it's a one of a kind prototype.

i don't mean dissassembled pics, just a few shots of the mechanism in various states of open/closed-ness :tongue_sm and a shot or two with a ruler laid next to the razor just for handle scale

ok, thats what i was thinking, i have the pieces parts from that tech model to work from, if that will suffice?

Excellent, the mechanism works exactly how i was picturing it

You probably can find a stock profile that is very similar to what a 3 piece razor would require, but there are custom rolling mills that can roll off a few sticks, no clue about the cost. Even for making a few dozen razors the precision gained using a pre-formed profile can be significant.

Your razor however looks like it may have been formed by investment casting, or built up from components by a very skilled person.

Cool device. Who made it? I see writing on the underside.

Phil

The writing on the underside is the standard Gillette logo and made in USA verbiage. I assume that it was just easier to build a prototype from existing razor parts.

You probably can find a stock profile that is very similar to what a 3 piece razor would require,

I'm pretty much set on this design. I had been thinking of a razor like this for quite a while now. Something easily changed into another style. TTO head... but I could never wrap my head around how to make such a swap with existing TTOs without a real mess. I love versatile tools. My dad's old Shopsmith mark V is still a marvelous thing, and my mom's old kitchen blender with those attachments. A PTO on a kitchen appliance.. GENIOUS! I wanted something like that in a razor.
This razor fell into my lap last year, and the more I looked at it the more sure I was that it has everything I need for what I was wanting, and more.

Top Bottom