What's new

Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The missus proudly appeared with an enormous bag of zucchini, saying "Don't ask. Can you grill these for me?" I said "It's five degrees, let's broil them with a bit of reggiano."

When I opened the bag I discovered they weren't zucchini, but cucumbers. She was heartbroken and somewhat embarrassed. So what the heck do you do with 10+ lbs of cukes*?

Cold cucumber soup:
Peel and seed cukes.
Cut into chunks and add to food processor.
Add scallions, small seeded jalapeno, parsley, and dill. Pulse.
Add yogurt and buttermilk and blend to desired consistency.
Serve cold with dollop of sour cream.

I'm a hero.

*In case you were thinking of suggesting pickles, she had another huge bag of kirbies, which were promptly made into pickles.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It took seconds, and I was surprised at how good it turned out. I've been ordered to duplicate it during the summer.

Cucumber sandwiches for tea?

Make cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, and feed them to your brace of Corgis as you have tea in the afternoon. You can dispose of a large amount of cukes in just a few days if you have sufficient Corgis.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
With a bit of yogourt and garlic and a couple of the cucumbers I would have done some Tzatziki. Probably would have been good in place of the sour cream in the soup you made . . . then again I am a garlic fiend.

Sounds good.

We just cut 'em up and serve them in a bowl of white vinegar.
If motivated, we'll use them in Sushi for California Rolls.

I can't eat cucumber sandwiches, because everytime I think of them, I remember Hugo Drax from "Moonraker"

"...may I press you to a cucumber sandwich?"

Hugo Drax was one of the worst Bond villians IMHO.

I'm kinda curious where Ouch's wife got a 10lb bag of (presumably) fresh cucumbers in the middle of winter....

The soup sounds fabulous though......

I'm kinda curious where Ouch's wife got a 10lb bag of (presumably) fresh cucumbers in the middle of winter....

I'm kinda curious why she'd buy 10 pounds of any vegetable other than potatoes...and that would have to be one heck of a dinner, like Thanksgiving. :laugh:

Top Bottom