What's new

Any male RN's or male nursing students here?

Good field to go in; good luck :thumbup1:

My ex wife is a nurse and has never been in need of finding a job. I worked for a hospital system in IT and they were always looking for good nurses. Hard to beat the starting income, and if you are good, the money keeps coming.

A good friend of mine is a male RN. He told me only a few males were in his whole graduating class and they got recruited like crazy over the females. He makes crazy money too, but part of that is because he works a few different jobs and 60+ hours/week.

Working on my pre-reqs right now. I have a few friends who are nurses and also happen to be male. A couple of my friends are NPs/APNs.

Hi,

I graduated with a diploma in 1972 as an RN. I went back to school and finished my BSN in 1978. I finally retired a few years back but will likely re-up and work part time. In my experience, nursing is a woman's world and you will need to employ the "Jackie Robinson effect". That is, you must be twice as good to be considered acceptable. If you can accept that, you will thrive.
When the women get to be too much at work, this is a simple 'push back' that won't get you back stabbed by your colleagues: If your nursing unit has a single staff bathroom - leave the toilet seat in the up position when you are finished. It drives them nuts:lol:

Best of luck,

Brian

Hello! I have been a nurse for over 25 years (when I grow up, I wanna be an engineer like my avatar). My specialty is emergency nursing, although I am a board certified staff nurse educator now. I still pick up time as a staff RN in an ER here in Philly. Working extra for $$$ can be a side benefit to nursing. An earlier poster is right; nurses always find work.

BSmout is absolutely correct. We men are a minority in the US in nursing and as such often get recruited more aggressively than do women. We do have to be a bit "Jackie Robinson" at times. Don't leave the seat up; if you are the only man on the staff, they'll know it was you. There is a double standard for gender issues in the workplace for us: women can say things and get away with stuff that would get us dragged into HR in a New York minute, so be careful.

Nursing has been a great fit for me as a second career--I was a Spanish teacher first. I have to admit, "traditionally", that I looked into medicine as my second career before nursing but since I was an EMT at the time, I felt nursing was a good move and a better short term ROI than medicine would have been.

Try it out: some hospitals have "shadowing" programs in which one may follow a nurse around for a shift to see what it's like. Contact their HR dept. for info. Also, look up the AAMN. It's the American Association for Men in Nursing. They will have info, too. Look into the "tobeanurse" website and look up Johnson & Johnson's site for stories from the bedside.

Good luck. PM me if you want more info. BTW, my oldest daughter is graduating from nursing school in May.:thumbup1:

Good luck! My sister is a trauma RN and I remember her going through a rough few years in school. It's a tough program.

Wish you the best of luck!

IsaacRN is well............an RN:lol: He pops in here from time to time.

I'm not an RN but I'm going to school to be a Pharmacy Technician. Hopefully I'll be working in a hospital soon. I was tired of working minimum wage sales jobs. I wish you luck in school though. And if you ever need help learning all the different drugs used for patients you can always look me up!!

~Kenn

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im an RN...as you can see by the name..and I am a male :)

Its a great job for security. Would I recommend it? I dont know to be honest with you. It is very interseting, and a very noble profession. Male nurses tend to lean towards critical care areas. ICU/ER/CCU. If you have any questions you can PM me or post here.

This is a job I've never done but imagine a high burn out rate regardless os sex. Also females become pregnant and leave for a while or maybe forever, so I think there is a lot of male opportunity in it for management etc.

It sure is nice to be able to be in demand these days so I would say go for it. No matter where you live or move to, there will be work for you.

This is a job I've never done but imagine a high burn out rate regardless os sex. Also females become pregnant and leave for a while or maybe forever, so I think there is a lot of male opportunity in it for management etc.

It sure is nice to be able to be in demand these days so I would say go for it. No matter where you live or move to, there will be work for you.

Burn out rate would depend on what type of RN you would be. I assume if you're a Pediatric nurse it may not be as stressful as a trauma nurse. My sister has been a trauma RN for a long time and it caught up to her recently and had to take a break but is back at it again.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Burn out rate would depend on what type of RN you would be. I assume if you're a Pediatric nurse it may not be as stressful as a trauma nurse. My sister has been a trauma RN for a long time and it caught up to her recently and had to take a break but is back at it again.

I would tend to disagree with you. Each unit has their issues. Pediatrics not only have to deal with a screaming child, but multiple family members as well. I worked in the ER for over 8 years before spending the last 2 in the ICU. Like I said before, its a noble profession for sure. There are a great deal of stressors from all directions. Some that you would never imagine.

Working on my pre-reqs right now. I have a few friends who are nurses and also happen to be male. A couple of my friends are NPs/APNs.

Someone PIF'd me a razor and now I'm gonna PIF you the Power Point tutorials I made for learning the bones, muscles, and nervous system. I aced all my lab practicals in A&P I using these so I know they work! :thumbup:

ENJOY!

:001_smile

I had to go to a busy inner city emergency room this past month in the early morning hours. I don't know what they are paying these nurses but it's not enough.

The strange thing was that all the young (and old) doctors spent most of the time behind a central desk and they would type orders in their computer system. I don't see how these young doctors are being trained very well when they hardly put their hands on a patient. Of course, I'm sure it's different when a really bad case comes into the ER.

I am not an RN, but I am a Critical Care Paramedic, Same amount of school, just all focused on front line trauma and critical care transport. Love the job and the field. I am in the running, have had a second interview, for a full time position in a very busy ER. With a non rotation schedule I may go to nursing school, I could finally attend the classes I need. Have a BS in Health Sciences. Not sure how much it would take. Even met my wife of just shy of 25 years in health care so I have a lot good to say of the field. Good luck in you endevor. Remember it is a womens field so you will have to be twice as good to be noticed and not watched.

Top Bottom