What's new

Smokenator for Weber

Anyone used the Smokenator insert for Weber kettles?

http://www.smokenator.com/default.htm

I've read some decent reviews, and it looks like it's a well-designed product, but before spending $50, I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually used it....

I don't expect it to be as good as a dedicated good-quality smoker, but if it really can maintain low heat and good smoke for 6 hours, then it beats the hell out of my *** vertical smoker....

more expensive, but certainly converts your kettle grill to a whale of a smoker. My boss wanted this, so he sold me his WSM.

I have not seen that, but I have a weber kettle grill and that looks great! Will be interesting to see any reviews.

I wish i could find the link.

I use a method i found where you create a ring of charcoal about half way around, maybe less ofyour weber kettle.

The ring is about 2 briquettes wide and 2-3 deep.

Then take your wood chips and put them on top of the unlit charcoal.

Now you will get 6-12 briquettes going and place them at the start of the "ring". The ring of charcoal will gradually light and you can keep a pretty consistent temperature this way. You just need to play with the vents initially.

I've thought about this and don't think it adds much.

While I've not done a cook for more than 3 - 4 hours, I do lots of low and slow cooking on my Weber kettle by using the indirect heat method (bank the coals against the and put your protein on the other side), a pan of water under the proteian (to keep the air moist) and a thermometer dropped into one of the holes on the top vent (you only need to keep the vent open a bit to accomodate the thermometer). If I want smoke, use a smoker box on the coals for a bit, soaked chunks of wood in the coals or, if I just want a light hit of smoke, a few damp chips on the coals.

I find that a load of coals is all I need for most things (I do a lot of pork tenderloin and chicken parts) and that if you need to get more time from your charcoal (for example if you wanted to do a brisket or shoulder) you lay the lit coals onto a bed of unlight coals (again banked against the side of the grill) or pop a couple of chunks of charcoal onto the coals periodically.

I don't the smokenator is anything more than a fancy contraption designed to have the same effect as the method I use (which I've picked up from various magazines/BBQ books).

I wish i could find the link.

I use a method i found where you create a ring of charcoal about half way around, maybe less ofyour weber kettle.

The ring is about 2 briquettes wide and 2-3 deep.

Then take your wood chips and put them on top of the unlit charcoal.

Now you will get 6-12 briquettes going and place them at the start of the "ring". The ring of charcoal will gradually light and you can keep a pretty consistent temperature this way. You just need to play with the vents initially.

This is called the minion method or something like that.

While I've not done a cook for more than 3 - 4 hours, I do lots of low and slow cooking on my Weber kettle by using the indirect heat method (bank the coals against the and put your protein on the other side), a pan of water under the proteian (to keep the air moist) and a thermometer dropped into one of the holes on the top vent (you only need to keep the vent open a bit to accomodate the thermometer). If I want smoke, use a smoker box on the coals for a bit, soaked chunks of wood in the coals or, if I just want a light hit of smoke, a few damp chips on the coals.

I find that a load of coals is all I need for most things (I do a lot of pork tenderloin and chicken parts) and that if you need to get more time from your charcoal (for example if you wanted to do a brisket or shoulder) you lay the lit coals onto a bed of unlight coals (again banked against the side of the grill) or pop a couple of chunks of charcoal onto the coals periodically.

I don't the smokenator is anything more than a fancy contraption designed to have the same effect as the method I use (which I've picked up from various magazines/BBQ books).

This is what I do and it has worked pretty good so far. I even do this when I am just regular grilling so I don't burn stuff and have to cook it quite so fast. I do need to pick me up a good thermometer though.

That's an excellent point. I've done some smoking in the Weber but had never heard of the method or banking unlit charcoal under the lit. Thats a good idea and I'll have to try it. I had been just adding more lit coals as needed, which of course makes the temperature spike.

If the top vent is only open enough to admit the thermometer, how far open do you leave the bottom vent?

That's an excellent point. I've done some smoking in the Weber but had never heard of the method or banking unlit charcoal under the lit. Thats a good idea and I'll have to try it. I had been just adding more lit coals as needed, which of course makes the temperature spike.

If the top vent is only open enough to admit the thermometer, how far open do you leave the bottom vent?

I would recommend that you leave the top vent open 100% and use the bottom vents to adjust temps.

Chunks of wood can be placed directly in the unlit coals for a more smokey taste.I use a couple of baseball sized chunks per cook for smaller meats or chicken.

Top Bottom