What's new

Looking for a Guard for Straight Razors

Gents,

I'm looking for a guard that I can put on any straight razor. Does anything like this exist? I know of a couple that came out in the early 1900's but it seems that these are extinct...where can I get/improvise one?

Are you asking about something akin to training wheels? I haven't heard of anything like that before, and I can't imagine it would work very well.

Last edited:
I'm betting you're thinking ofa durham duplex
proxy.php

while held and used similar to a straight, it uses what are now sold as carpet cutting blades (and aren't recommended for shaving)

proxy.php

You mean the comb type guards that fit over the blade? I think there is a reason they became extinct - safety razors made them redundant.

I can't think of a way to design a generic clip-on guard that wouldn't risk damaging the fine edge of a straight razor. I'm afraid the only effective guard is to use caution and good technique. The risks aren't that great apart from some people dropping their straight and trying to catch it!

Since it seems such a thing is difficult to find, you might want to try shaving without one. If you take it easy and never do anything that you do not feel ready for, you should be alright. There is nothing wrong with beginning and/or ending your shave with whatever you were shaving with before until you feel comfortable with your straight. Good Luck!

I assume the OP is referring to one of these;

proxy.php

proxy.php

The pictures were taken from a SOTD thread (Dr Hackenbrush posted the excellent pictures)

His comment on it was;

theoretically was designed to help people with disabilities to shave with a razor, but also serves to whoever does not have sufficient skill to shave without cutting, the truth is that it helps to shave quickly, it is impossible to cut (I hate the google translator)

YES!!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly IT!!! It fits over the blade of any straight razor, sort of converting it into a "transitional razor". I've heard these came out briefly before the DE Safety Razor took over...where can I find one? (I'll buy it off of you)!

That's not mine. I have no idea where you will find one or how long you will need to keep searching for. Good luck in your search though.

Don't know where to find one but one of the makers:
E.P.Brewer Company, their version was the "Best Razor Guard"

It would be easier to find a Curley's Straight Razor. you should be able to pic one up pretty cheap
(the pic isn't mine, it's from another site)

Last edited:
I have heard of the "Best Razor Guard". I think I will make it my quest to find one. But for now, I have just acquired this....

Gents,

I'm looking for a guard that I can put on any straight razor. Does anything like this exist? I know of a couple that came out in the early 1900's but it seems that these are extinct...where can I get/improvise one?

I liken using a straight razor to playing football without a face bar on your helmet.

These contraptions (which I had never seen before looking at the pictures in this thread) remind me of a shavette. Instead of the blade it holds razor blades in a sleeve and a little bit sticks out for shaving.

Last edited:
I will eventually learn the Art of the Straight Razor...but for now, I have to take baby steps...and there's also the coolness factor of having something that's pretty rare!

I will eventually learn the Art of the Straight Razor...but for now, I have to take baby steps...and there's also the coolness factor of having something that's pretty rare!

You have educated me on these i had never saw one before. And i agree with the baby steps. For my first shaves i would do a WTG pass and do the reat with a DE, I did quite a few shaves like this before i did a ATG pass with a straight.

Top Bottom