What's new

Looking for a Guard for Straight Razors

So..here's the Golden question....CURLEY'S Ideal Safety Razor...or a WECK SEXTOBLADE ?????

The golden question I have is why? Collectors item? Or training aid? If it's the latter save your money and just jump in. It's no where near as scary as you think when you first look at the straight, which I have to admit when I opened the package that had my first straight in it I did have a *** am I doing moment. :001_smile

HAHA...I see what you mean...I would say it's both...I'd like to get my beak wet with the straights before taking the plunge, but I also like the idea of having something "different"

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You could accomplish the same objective by using a shavette but since you've already got the razor, just do it - you know "get 'er done."

You won't hurt yourself.

If you want to practice getting around your face safely and get a feel for keeping a good angle (a little flat), just lather up and scrape it off with a butter knife or something dull. Seriously, this will help. It's like mowing a lawn; you can't just wander around, you have to develop patterns to efficiently mow your face. Doing this is also a good way to train your non-dominate hand.

If this doesn't work give beta blockers a try - they work for golf.

You're more likely to cut your fingers getting one of those guards on than cutting your face shaving anyway.

Personally, I use shavettes; straights aren't nearly scary enough for me.

My wife has a guard on her SS straight razor, and it is a fairly new razor. She attended beautician school in Calif. and they do still use a straight razor for cutting hair. Her's has disposable changable blades. Comes in a little pink case. I made up some "fake" blades from a cut up plastic card and use it that way to practice. I get the muscle movement down but I have a plastic blade so I wion't nick myself.
proxy.php

well gents..I've actually been using a Weck Sextoblade with the guard in place with Personna shaper blades...I figured I could use this to get the movements down and to teach my left hand that it has a purpose...I think I've decided I'll do this till I feel comfy and then...Take the PLUNGE !!!! I think this may be the way to go....

For those of you who use(d) guards on your SR: what speed improvement did you achieve, if any?

I have now been using a straight for over a year and have never heard about anyone using any form of guard or "training wheels". My recommendation is to just start slow and easy, and build from there.

It is not against the law to only shave a portion of your face with a straight, and then use your DE to finish up or even try the opposite - start with the DE and finish with the straight. You just need to do it and keep at it, and your skills will improve.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
There was a reference to such a razor in the 1937 movie “Captains Corageous”. Spencer Tracey was excited about getting one. Great movie by the way.

Top Bottom