What's new

Boar bristle recommendation

I have been using my original badger brush and enjoying it immensely. However, I have been reading more and more about boar brushes, and I feel that I need to try a boar bristle brush. What would be a good brush to try that would show the attributes of the boar without an extensive break in period?

I have several Semogue brushes. The 1305 is a great performer and did not take much time to break in. While i don't use them regularly, I hear many of the Omega brushes do not have long break in periods and perform well also. With the price of boar brushes you could purchase one from each vendor and not break the bank!

From my experience, all boars have an extensive break in period, but Ambrose had a pretty good thread about how to break in a brush that helps out a lot. With that being said, you can't go wrong with the Semogue boars. The SOC, 1250, and 1305 seem to be some of the favorites around here. I really like the 1305 I have. There are also quite a few Omegas as well. I think the Pro 49(?) is one of the favored from them. I don't recall which I have, but I like it a lot. I really don't think you can go wrong with anything from either Semogue or Omega.

You are stuck with a break in period, but Omega and presumably semogue brushes which are unclipped bristle will have a soft face feel from the start. They will soften as the tips of each bristle splits into two or more ends.

Compared to my Tweezerman my Omega 10098 was a better brush on the first shave. This brush is HUGE and after 2 months is not yet fully broken in. It is extra soft on the face and has good backbone. It is scrubby without being scratchy.

Phil

The boars I have that had the shortest break-in period has been my Omega 10005 and 11137 and Vulfix 2234.
I have several Semogues, but they have had a longer break-in period. That said, I just acquired the 1305 and 1250 and they felt surprisingly soft at the first shave - especially the 1305, so I don't think the break-in period will be long with those two.

If you don't want to use it during the break-in period, continue with your badger and then lather up the boar once a day for about a week, then I think you should be OK.

The tips will look like this, when they are split

and just FYI it is a vintage Victoria, Semogue 2000 and Omega 10005 from left to right.

The Semogue 1305. Detecting a pattern? It really is a great brush that performs well right out of the box, and the break in is pretty painless.

During the break-in period, I find I can use creams more easily than soaps. Some folks think boar means soap, but creams work too.

Do you guys feel the 1305 is a good brush for face lathering or would recommend something else for boar? I have an AOS pure badger that came with the $100 fit which is good, but I would like to try a boar brush to compare.

Do you guys feel the 1305 is a good brush for face lathering or would recommend something else for boar? I have an AOS pure badger that came with the $100 fit which is good, but I would like to try a boar brush to compare.

Some folks would disagree and probably point you to the Semogue 620 but I face lather the 1305 all the time and feel it works great. Of course, like many topics on B&B, YMMV.

Do you guys feel the 1305 is a good brush for face lathering or would recommend something else for boar?

I face lather exclusively, and the 1305 is my favourite Semogue. The 620 is shorter and scrubbier, and this is quite popular for face lathering.

IMO, the 1305 Premium bristles offer the nicest balance between softness and backbone. If wooden handles aren't your thing, the 830 is a very similar knot. They'll need a couple of weeks daily use to break in, where they'll retain water better, and really soften up, so reserve judgement with boars till they settle in.

Last edited:
I face lather exclusively, and the 1305 is my favourite Semogue. The 620 is shorter and scrubbier, and this is quite popular for face lathering.

IMO, the 1305 Premium bristles offer the nicest balance between softness and backbone. If wooden handles aren't your thing, the 830 is a very similar knot. They'll need a couple of weeks daily use to break in, where they'll retain water better, and really soften up, so reserve judgement with boars till they settle in.

I was reading that some people were having issues with the handle. Is this true and if so has it been fixed?

The Semogue 1305. Detecting a pattern? It really is a great brush that performs well right out of the box, and the break in is pretty painless.

+1

What beginish said.

I was previously a boar hater and this brush changed my mind. The break in was far shorter than I had anticipated.

I was reading that some people were having issues with the handle. Is this true and if so has it been fixed?

Only two people I'm aware of had paint issues. Semogue traced the fault to a bad batch of paint. I was assured before I bought mine, it was already history. Mine and many others who have since bought haven't reported any problem at all.

Only two people I'm aware of had paint issues. Semogue traced the fault to a bad batch of paint. I was assured before I bought mine, it was already history. Mine and many others who have since bought haven't reported any problem at all.

Unless you drop them. The paint on mine is fine, but does chip fairly easily if dropped on a hard surface - like my sink. I dropped mine the very first day I used it and it has been carrying a chip ever since. Not a big deal, and I do like the way the painted wood looks, but something to consider if you tend towards butterfingerness.

Any time you have a wooden handle it will mean a little bit more care. (don't soak the whole thing.) But they are oh so much nicer than plastic. I have a half dozen wooden handled brushes and have not had any problems with them. Omegas are OK, I have an Omega 49 and it is a very good brush. But the Semogues are so much better and really look good. Omega or Semogue, they're both good brushes. It really is personal preference. Buy two or three, boars don't break the bank like that other hair.

I've never used the 1305 but I own the 830 and have heard that they are very similar, if not the same knot. It broke in very nicely and fairly quickly. The Omega 49 is also nice and broke in fast, but has a very long loft (approx 60mm?) so it can feel somewhat floppy for a boar.

The SOC takes a while longer to fully break in, but has a very dense knot which provides tons of backbone.

I've never used the 1305 but I own the 830 and have heard that they are very similar, if not the same knot. It broke in very nicely and fairly quickly.

The SOC takes a while longer to fully break in, but has a very dense knot which provides tons of backbone.

The 830 has the same bristle, but 10% more. It's also set in the handle at a different angle, so it splays more. The useable difference is probably splitting hairs though (sorry). I'll have an 830 soon so will find out.

I found the SOC a flopper. Took 3 weeks or so to break in with daily use, then became really floppy; bereft of any backbone IMO - well, equal to my Rooney 1/2, which compared with any other boar has no backbone at all. Sold the SOC. Too big for me anyway.

The 1305 has oodles more backbone without the extra density.

Top Bottom