What's new

Who makes dense brushes?

So far as I can tell the densest are (in order, just my opinion) Rooney Heritage 3-band (Stubby 3 at least), Rooney XL, Shavemac D01 3-band, Simpson Chubby.

Density (based on diameter of hair clump at same height above handle with same pressure binding the hairs, corrected for base of knot diameters):

Rooney Finest
Rooney 3 band Heritage
Shavemac D01 3 band
Simpson Chubby/Eagle G3 Best
Rooney 2 band XL line
Rooney "Psychedelic" Large
TGN 30mm Grade A
Shavemac D01 2 Band
Simpson Duke 2-Band

So to answer your question... Shavemac.

Density (based on diameter of hair clump at same height above handle with same pressure binding the hairs, corrected for base of knot diameters):

That raises a great point. Density at the base versus density mid shaft versus how it feels at the tips.

To me, only the last value matters as that is how the brush feels on your face (and maybe somewhat the mid shaft value)

A really dense brush (at the tips) can have what I recently read described as a soft golfball feel. I thought that was such a great description. It's actually a combination of a densely packed knot, the stiffness of the hair and a shorter loft. My Rudy Vey is so dense at the tips, I can't really feel individual hairs, just one solid, soft surface. Same thing with my Chubby 3. Polo 14, on the other hand, though still a very dense brush in a similar sized knot, feels much less so at the tips due to the taller loft.

So when someone asks about density, my response centers around how the brush feels on my face, but that may not be everyones definition.

Ken

My Rudy Vey is so dense at the tips, I can't really feel individual hairs, just one solid, soft surface.
So when someone asks about density, my response centers around how the brush feels on my face, but that may not be everyones definition.

Ken

Ken, is this RV brush your 30mm brush ?

I am lusting for a big brush.:thumbup1:

Yep, George

It's this one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a sweet brush.

Ken

Last edited:
Ken, is this RV brush your 30mm brush ?

I am lusting for a big brush.:thumbup1:

I'm eventually going to get Ken to swap the 30mm for my Wee Scot. It's going to be REALLY funny. I want to be there when he tries to lather with it.

You asked for brush manufacturers other than Simpsons and Rooney, so I will suggest that you look at the Thater line of brushes.

I recently acquired this lovely Thater brush in silvertip.

As you can see from the photos, the brush is very dense but also very luxurious.

I used it on MWF thinking that it would not work as well as my two stripe Simpson, but it exceeded my expectations and made a bucket of gorgeous lather.

The following photos are of this brush before use.

I'm eventually going to get Ken to swap the 30mm for my Wee Scot. It's going to be REALLY funny. I want to be there when he tries to lather with it.

I could loose that Wee Scot in my Polo 14:lol: It would never be seen again!

Ken

Top Bottom