What's new

The Segal advantage

The length of the head is designed to give the end "tabs" of the blade something to rest on. Because it does, those tabs don't stick out like on an Old Style Gillette looking for an earlobe to snag. Why Gillette didn't do the same I have no idea. Leaving the blade protruding on the ends (admittedly not sharpened but indeed sharp) seems an oversight.

Gillette didn't do it on purpose.
The original 3 Hole blades that were made for the Old Type were rounded on the ends and didn't protrude in the manner modern blades do.
Wp

The length of the head is designed to give the end "tabs" of the blade something to rest on. Because it does, those tabs don't stick out like on an Old Style Gillette looking for an earlobe to snag. Why Gillette didn't do the same I have no idea. Leaving the blade protruding on the ends (admittedly not sharpened but indeed sharp) seems an oversight.
If I'm not mistaken their may have been a fundamental change in blade manufacturing at one point, and the blades made prior to this change didn't have that problem. I'm not at all sure of the accuracy of that statement, but I feel like I read that somewhere on the boards.

isnt the segal like a whole diferent razor design?

They are indeed. Some people have been modifying blades to fit, but I'm not sure how.

Feather AS design has metal on the sides to cover the protrusions.

If I'm not mistaken their may have been a fundamental change in blade manufacturing at one point, and the blades made prior to this change didn't have that problem. I'm not at all sure of the accuracy of that statement, but I feel like I read that somewhere on the boards.

What we refer to as a "standard DE blade" underwent several different redesigns, as Gillette bought out their competitors, but wanted to insure their blades would still work in those razors (for example, part of the seemingly unused slots in a modern DE blade are a result of their acquisition of the ProBak/ Autostrop company). The need to lengthen the blade to accommodate these changes is what likely resulted in the blade tabs being exposed.

[QUOTEThey are indeed. Some people have been modifying blades to fit, but I'm not sure how.[/QUOTE]

In another post I noted how easy it actually is. With the right pair of scissors - they need to have short blades that have a gentle curve to them. You simply snip out the offending excess. Takes me two minutes, literally. Trim in a gentle arc from one end to the other. Use an old blade to trace out the pattern on the first one. Thereafter you can eyeball it.

It IS an extra step but if we are wet shaving we aren't in a hurry to begin with, right? It would be an easy matter to trim out five or ten and then put them back in their protective paper sleeve.

DO make sure to hold the blade with a paper towel as you cut with the other hand. Not that anything untoward might happen...

Feather AS design has metal on the sides to cover the protrusions.

In my opinion, this is one of the greatest benefits of the Feather All Stainless.

I HATE the exposed blade tabs, especially considering that I recently filleted my ear lobe so badly with the blade tabs that it was gushing blood. I had like an 1.5 inch gash to my ear lobe!!

The Muhle/Edwin Jagger razors cover off about 90% of the blade tabs, and thus are a superior design as well.

The DE blade has not changed since the Mid-30's, so I am not sure why Gillette didn't design later razors to cover the blade tabs.

In my opinion, this is one of the greatest benefits of the Feather All Stainless.

I HATE the exposed blade tabs, especially considering that I recently filleted my ear lobe so badly with the blade tabs that it was gushing blood. I had like an 1.5 inch gash to my ear lobe!!

I cut my nose with a blade tab once...now THAT was painful. I have been very careful with them since.
Maybe Gillette wanted us to live and learn?
Wp

I just removed the blade from my old style and trimmed the end tabs off. No more risk to my ears and now it looks better.

The Muhle/Edwin Jagger razors cover off about 90% of the blade tabs, and thus are a superior design as well.

The DE blade has not changed since the Mid-30's, so I am not sure why Gillette didn't design later razors to cover the blade tabs.

The Futur fully encloses the blade sides....but will fillet your face in normal use if careless:ohmy:

Top Bottom