What's new

Safety razors and Straight Razors

Hi,

About 12 months ago a begin shaving with a straight razor and I'm about 1 and half months new to saving with a DE. I bought a 1953 Gillette Super Speed 40's style to learn with and a 1963 Gillette Adjustable to experiment with.

I don't want come off as over thinking this, but wanted to share an aha moment. Most experienced DE users may already know this.

When I started to shave with the fixed Gillette Super Speed, It shaved close but the next day I could shave again if I wanted to. When I shaved with my straight razor the beard did not seem to come back so quickly. I thought and thought why the difference. They both seem to shave well. Then it struck me after looking at the Gillette Adjustable. It was the safety rail. On the Gillette Adjustable More blade exposed made for a closer shave. When I set the Gillette Adjustable to 9 I got a shave more like my straight. With that said not exactly. I rarely nick myself with my straight razor and did few times with a setting of 9 on the Gillette. For me a 5 seems to work well with no nicks.

So my conclusion was that the position of the safety rail on the DE is what determines how close the hair is cut and a Straight razor is all about technique when it comes to a close shave since it has no safety rail.

Additionally, the position of the safety rail on the DE is what people refer to as level of aggressiveness (how close it will shave/expose blade).

An there you have it.

- Mike

I can get just as close of a shave with a DE as I can with a straight. It just takes more passes with the DE to get there, and isn't anywhere near as fun.

I can get just as close of a shave with a DE as I can with a straight. It just takes more passes with the DE to get there, and isn't anywhere near as fun.

Hi,

I still have some learning to do with the DE. I usually lather do a WTG whole face then lather and do ATG all but mustache area. I get BBS shaves, the beard just seems to come back sooner the next day.

- Mike

For me to get BBS with a DE I have to do 4 full passes. WTG, XTG both directions, and ATG.

With a straight or an SE I do 3 passes and then maybe touchup a spot here or there that I may have missed. Due to the size of the straight and the direction of growth on my neck I can't fit a actual ATG in. So I do 3 passes 120 degrees apart instead of 4 passes 90 degrees apart if that makes sense.

Hi

I think I'll try that. I usually just do the two passes wtg and atg. I should try an xtg after the wtg.

Mike

Top Bottom