What's new

Boar or Badger versus Soap

After just getting into DE shaving, I purchased a Edwin Jagger badger brush along with some Colonel Conk soap.

After the initial attempts at lathering up, only now am I finding that I'm obtaining a halfway decent lather. I have read some threads where other wetshavers swear by boar brushes, especially when it comes to using them in combination with shaving soaps?

Therefore, the question is should I look into buying a boar brush and, if so, I had my eyes on the Semogue 830, is that one any good? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Although a firmer brush is generally easier to lather soaps than softer ones, any brush will work. There is a good chance that your lather problem is more related to not using enough product. Soak your brush for a min of 30 secs, squeeze, and give 2 or 3 shakes to dry. Place a little hot water on the soap to soften it and tip off. Again 30 secs should be enough. Swirl the brush over the soap surface for at least 1 minute so as to build up a dry paste on the brush. The soap surface will also start to dry. Then take the loaded brush to the face or bowl and build lather by adding water a little at a time. I have 2 EJ brushes, a medium best and medium silver tip, and both work well with soaps. My Boar brush is also great with soaps but better than the badgers? Just ensure you have enough soap to begin with on the brush!

David

In principle any brush can lather any soap or cream, but some are better (YMMV etc.:001_rolle) at certain jobs. It is soaps that made me return to boars and while I still like and use badgers from time to time it is boars that stole my heart. I think any wet-shaver should try at least one quality boar brush but since I do not know your EJ it might also be that you picked the wrong badger for your needs.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Col.Conk almond is my fav soap so far and I have no problem loading it with a soft silvertip. I soak my brush and add a spoonful or so of water to teh soap before I shower. When done showering, flick my brush so that's it's not sopping wet and load my brush. Not a lot of work and a great lather to boot!

In principle any brush can lather any soap or cream, but some are better (YMMV etc.:001_rolle) at certain jobs. It is soaps that made me return to boars and while I still like and use badgers from time to time it is boars that stole my heart. I think any wet-shaver should try at least one quality boar brush but since I do not know your EJ it might also be that you picked the wrong badger for your needs.

I have a Best Badger from EJ. Today I was able to achieve my best lather yet, due in large part, I believe, to first soaking the brush for about 1 minute. Would it make any sense to pickup a halfway decent boar though?

I have a Best Badger from EJ. Today I was able to achieve my best lather yet, due in large part, I believe, to first soaking the brush for about 1 minute. Would it make any sense to pickup a halfway decent boar though?

Picking up a decent boar makes always sense to me but realizing you just got started it also makes sense to get your technique down with the brush you have right now. Since Col. Conk is a soap that won't give trouble to a badger like a really hard soap can you should be able to get it right.

Usually there are 3 beginner mistakes; too little product, too much water and spending not enough time to get it right.

After just getting into DE shaving, I purchased a Edwin Jagger badger brush along with some Colonel Conk soap.

After the initial attempts at lathering up, only now am I finding that I'm obtaining a halfway decent lather. I have read some threads where other wetshavers swear by boar brushes, especially when it comes to using them in combination with shaving soaps?

Therefore, the question is should I look into buying a boar brush and, if so, I had my eyes on the Semogue 830, is that one any good? Thanks in advance for the advice!

The Semogue 830 is heralded as a great boar brush and would be a good purchase. However, you got your best lather to date by soaking the brush for a minute; we normally recommend soaking a brush much longer, squeeze, then shake and it's ready for work.

of course, I know you want to order the Semogue, so go ahead!(RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! )

However, I do recommend continuing to use your current brush until you get the hang of making a good to great lather with it; once you master that, the Semogue will be ready to destroy any soap you put before it.

marty

The Semogue 830 is heralded as a great boar brush and would be a good purchase. However, you got your best lather to date by soaking the brush for a minute; we normally recommend soaking a brush much longer, squeeze, then shake and it's ready for work.

of course, I know you want to order the Semogue, so go ahead!(RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! )

However, I do recommend continuing to use your current brush until you get the hang of making a good to great lather with it; once you master that, the Semogue will be ready to destroy any soap you put before it.

marty

Haha thanks, I guess I was looking for that reassurance more than anything else. I've read that many wetshavers tend to have a rotation of brushes so I wasn't sure if it made sense to pick up a boar for soap and keep the badger for cream. Thanks for the info!

Haha thanks, I guess I was looking for that reassurance more than anything else. I've read that many wetshavers tend to have a rotation of brushes so I wasn't sure if it made sense to pick up a boar for soap and keep the badger for cream. Thanks for the info!

Numerous brushes is more a feature of weak will, and justifying 'wants' as 'needs'. I have 5 brushes so I'm just as guilty, as I use only 3 regularly.

Really floppy brushes can be a pain with soaps, but still entirely usable in familiar hands. Having 2 brushes is never a bad idea though, to give one a break to thoroughly dry.

An 830 is a great brush and won't break the bank.

+1 on technique being more the issue than the brush. Some brushes are better than others for soap, but most should work with practice.

Wet shavers have a rotation of brushes because we want to try everything. Once you change shaving from a chore to a hobby, there is a tendency to push your gear into a collection.

If you want to try a new brush that works well for soaps the Semogue would be an excellent choice. I like them much better than Omega's as the lofts tend to be a bit shorter, so they are not as floppy. Just remember a boar takes some time to break in (months even) so dont expect it to solve your problems over night.

Another great soap option is the two band badger. There are several great makes out there, but IMO the best budget one would be the TGN extra stuffed finest. They are great brushes with soft tips, great backbone, and good density. Again work on your technique before you buy something else, but a new brush is always fun.

Having never used a boar brush I can't comment on how great they may be, however I have managed to get great lather from soaps as well as creams with the same EJ medium silvertip brush. I let mine soak in hot water from the tap for the duration of my shower. Shake it but don't squeeze it until the water stops dripping and then load it well. I have no concern about using "too much" product as I do not want to run out of lather and I can always find a use for what's left in the brush. It may just take practice and there isn't a written rule anywhere that says you can only build lather when you plan to shave. Actually I find it quite enjoyable to face lather between shaves. It raises the whiskers and - I believe - can greatly help to discourage any ingrown hairs before they can take hold.
As my good friend htownmmm stated "Resistance is futile", I believe there is a Semogue with your name on it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

+1 on technique being more the issue than the brush. Some brushes are better than others for soap, but most should work with practice.

Wet shavers have a rotation of brushes because we want to try everything. Once you change shaving from a chore to a hobby, there is a tendency to push your gear into a collection.

If you want to try a new brush that works well for soaps the Semogue would be an excellent choice. I like them much better than Omega's as the lofts tend to be a bit shorter, so they are not as floppy. Just remember a boar takes some time to break in (months even) so dont expect it to solve your problems over night.

Another great soap option is the two band badger. There are several great makes out there, but IMO the best budget one would be the TGN extra stuffed finest. They are great brushes with soft tips, great backbone, and good density. Again work on your technique before you buy something else, but a new brush is always fun.

So...this is probably somewhat embarrassing, but I see those three letters thrown around a lot on these forums and I guess I need a more detailed description of what a TGN brush is...from everything I read it appears to be just a knot which then one would have to have set in a handle. Is this the case or is there a website where I can purchase a "TGN" brush?

Top Bottom