What's new

Are Grades of Boar Hair Like Badger?

Boar is typically sold as boar or bristle but I'm not aware of a rating system. However some hairs are just way better than others. I'm impressed with Semogue boars and the Omega 31XXX series is just fantastic.

I have never heard of any rating for boar hair but I can tell you my Omega brush is almost softer than my black badger hair brush. But the black badger hair is the coursest of all the badger hair so that doesn't surprise me much.

Although I think it´s a unique case, but Semogue does rate their different types os boar hair: special,premium,extra,..

If a badger has different types of hair around the body, and we humans has as well, I think it would be fair to presume that a pig also has different types.

As mentioned above, Semogue grade their hair, and from personal experience I can say; there is a difference in the way the hairs perform.

If a badger has different types of hair around the body, and we humans has as well, I think it would be fair to presume that a pig also has different types.

As mentioned above, Semogue grade their hair, and from personal experience I can say; there is a difference in the way the hairs perform.

However a domestic boar... (boar = male pig) only has hair in limited places that is long enough to use for a brush. ...(on the back and side of its body) the hair on the neck and butt and belly of a boar is to short to use. The hair on the back is a bit longer and more course than the hair on the side and it may vary a bit somewhere in between those areas.

This may also vary a bit depending on the breed of pig.

However a domestic boar... (boar = male pig) only has hair in limited places that is long enough to use for a brush. ...(on the back and side of its body) the hair on the neck and butt and belly of a boar is to short to use. The hair on the back is a bit longer and more course than the hair on the side and it may vary a bit somewhere in between those areas.

This may also vary a bit depending on the breed of pig.

Thanks for the information, I have never given it a deeper thought where from the body of a boar the hairs come from.

I just compare from what I've seen/experienced; my parents have had two wire hair fox terriers and even coming from the same kennel (years between) the hairs of those two dogs where very different in stiffness.

I imagine it also would matter if the boar is in-door in a pig pen or outside all year.

Top Bottom