What's new

Florida Water?

So I'm in a newly constructed Walgreen's yesterday, and a strange little bottle catches my attention. It had that same old-school look that the Clubman has, and a very small price tag.

The cost: $3.99
The Product:Lanman and Kemp Florida Water

Weird stuff. I used it for my splash this morning, in the bottle it smells minty, with pronounced black licorice and citrus notes. It also has that plastic-bottle chemical smell so common in the super-cheap aftershaves.

After the splash the black licorice smell EXPLODES (at least on my skin), and it really starts to smell, well, like candy. The citrus and mint is still there, but they are not the stars of the show.

I don't know what I think of this stuff. Their site says its been around for 200 years, so someone is buying it.

Anyone else try this stuff?

-Tom

It is a weekend staple for me. I love the citrus-clove combo. It packs a punch as an aftershave so I normally use it as a body splash. If you like it, you might also want to try others in the line. I really like the Orange Blossom and Rose splashes.

It is a weekend staple for me. I love the citrus-clove combo. It packs a punch as an aftershave so I normally use it as a body splash. If you like it, you might also want to try others in the line. I really like the Orange Blossom and Rose splashes.

CLOVES!!! That's the smell I was trying to put my finger on. Thank you kind sir...

it was a stple in my rotation for years.here lately it has been moved to a secondary position.partly due to the fact that it is hard to get locally.but it is likable,although it has a short lifespan.

I found a bottle locally a while back an bought it just to try too. For some reason its only available in stores with a "hispanic section," or stores that serve a mostly hispanic community. It doesn't smell bad but I'm not sure its a fagrance I want on my body.

Last edited:
Where was it in the Walgreens? I keep checking around here on occasion and never see it. I found some Chinese Florida water (at the Chinese market) but I really don't care for it.. very powdery and feminine..

Where was it in the Walgreens? I keep checking around here on occasion and never see it. I found some Chinese Florida water (at the Chinese market) but I really don't care for it.. very powdery and feminine..

This was in a new Walgreen (just built), floor level shelf (more of a ledge) right next to the Clubman, and actually didn't even have its own price label on the shelf yet. There were only three bottles total.

I don't remember seeing it at all at our other Walgreens.

Cool that you found it Walgreens. I have never seen it in a chain store of any kind. The mom and pop stores is normally where I pick it up. I have also ordered directly from the company and received excellent service.

This is a nice, traditional juice to use as an AS splash. You can also put some in the tub when you take a bath. Kananga Water is a similar thing--with the dominant scent being ylang ylang. I think that M&L makes the best ones, but there are others, including some made in China. You can find these at some drug stores but more often I see them in grocery stores, beauty supply places, shops catering to the Latin American communities, or in magic/new age shops. Around my house, you're most likely to find it in the Hoodoo section of a store--it seems to be much in demand for those purposes.

When that Chinese stuff is called 'Butterfly' I can tell you it doesn't even come close to the real deal. In the end I used it to clean my razor and as an AS just before showering, so a nice AS would not go to waste under the shower.

I love the original as a splash on hot summerdays with or without shaving before. It cools and refreshes but is very light so you can use a lot if you want to.

I agree about the Kananga Water...very distinctive, often I mix with other things (on the skin)....Benjamin's makes the best Kananga, IMHO---M&L for the Florida water.

Maybe I'll pick up the last two and keep them around for a trade or something. If anyone is in the Baltimore area, I found it at the New Walgreen's on Rte.40, about a block west of Rolling road. I saw this stuff somewhere else also, can't remember where...

The stuff has the look of something they probably won't re-order when the last two go - I don't know if it's the lack of a sticker or whatever, it just doesn't fit in.

Was sad when Walgreens stopped carrying the VEG:cryin:, But smiles fill my day as Florida Water is still there at a bargain price:thumbup:

I also bought 2 bottles of the Murray & Lanham at Walgreens in Florida. The sales clerk told me that they are sold as soon as they come in, and they have trouble keeping it in stock. However, I was also at 4 other Walgreens and none of them had it. Where I purchased it is a mixed ethnic neighborhood as there are a lot of people from the Caribbean in that area. It is a nice product. Too bad the scent does not last longer.

This is a nice, traditional juice to use as an AS splash. You can also put some in the tub when you take a bath. Kananga Water is a similar thing--with the dominant scent being ylang ylang. I think that M&L makes the best ones, but there are others, including some made in China. You can find these at some drug stores but more often I see them in grocery stores, beauty supply places, shops catering to the Latin American communities, or in magic/new age shops. Around my house, you're most likely to find it in the Hoodoo section of a store--it seems to be much in demand for those purposes.

Hoodoo section? Are you talking about the Triangle area? I am not seeing a hoodoo section in stores. Maybe I am not going into the right stores.

Top Bottom