What's new

Suggestions for A Novice

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone with more experience than myself could recommend a quality cigar I could give to a friend as a present. He has the tradition of smoking a cheap cigar (phillies to be exact) with a friend every few weeks and I was hoping I could give him something that would improve the experience. So I was hoping someone could recommend a good "beginner" cigar that is pleasant and that you think will be well received by someone with no experience with fine cigars. I know there is a huge component of personal preference, but basically something that agrees with an uneducated palate.

Thank you all in advance!

It sounds like anything from a reputable tobacconist is going to be a step in the right direction... I would look for something by Padron, Fuente, or Tatuaje (assuming you are in the USA) that fits your price range. Also be mindful that you may want to stick with milder-medium strength cigars to begin with.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone with more experience than myself could recommend a quality cigar I could give to a friend as a present. He has the tradition of smoking a cheap cigar (phillies to be exact) with a friend every few weeks and I was hoping I could give him something that would improve the experience. So I was hoping someone could recommend a good "beginner" cigar that is pleasant and that you think will be well received by someone with no experience with fine cigars. I know there is a huge component of personal preference, but basically something that agrees with an uneducated palate.

Thank you all in advance!
Mr. Black:
I would try either a Macanudo (Dominican Republic), Hampton Court - 5 ½ inches long with a ring gauge of 42. A Corona size cigar. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

or a Montecristo (Dominican Republic), #3 - 5 ½ inches long with a ring gauge of 43. A Corona size cigar :001_cool:

proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
All the above are good suggestions. Anything from Arturo Fuente is a good choice. If you're looking to splurge a little, get him one of the Hemingway series. Anything from a known maker is going to beat one of those Phillies though, so I wouldn't drop too much cash.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

I will searching my area for them this weekend. I will be sure to let you know how he likes what I end up getting.

A few of my favorite non cubans are (in order of strength):
Rocky Patel Vintage 1999, 601 Green, Padron 1964, El Titan Del Bronze Redemption

There is nothing mild about a Phillies Titan, so just concentrate on the quality. Arturo Fuente cigars are very good...In fact they might ruin him for life.
The Macanudo is always a good choice as well. A little less pricier and a good smoke is a Nick's Sticks. Also....He might not have a cigar cutter being a Phillies smoker....So be safe and have the tobacconist cut it. A quality cigar should never be bit off.

I had a very good experience over the weekend picking out several cigars for my friend, the sales associate was extremely patient and helpful.

I ended up picking up an ashton, arturo fuente, a macanudo, a montecristo and a few others and a cigar cutter and some matches.

Well needless to say he loved his first quality smoke and he looks forward to educating his taste even more.

He did say that he used a regular lighter though (I didn't try to conceal my cringing) so I think I might force him to buy a cigar lighter if matches aren't what he wants to use.

Thank you all again for your help!

I actually enjoyed the experience of being in a humidor so much that I was eyeing a few of the pipes and cigars for myself.

I would not venture into Tats until you try some milder smokes like Padron, RP, Punch, and Montes.

Some of the sticks I enjoyed when I first started out were the RP Decades & 1999, Ashton Cabinet, DPG blues (which I still enjoy), and 5 Vegas Gold (great with coffee).

I recommend you stay away from Acid and Ghurka cigars :001_tongu

I actually enjoyed the experience of being in a humidor so much that I was eyeing a few of the pipes and cigars for myself.

This is the dangerous part. There is something very intoxicating about those rooms, all wood and sweetly scented, with little pleasures hidden in boxes. It is the same with wine storage rooms and small craft brewery operations, cobblers, tailor shops - they all have this little intrigue linked to the scent and collection of gear necessary for the performance of their craft.

It certainly did feel like I was being guided into a new area of luxury pleasures. With all of the great recommendations I received for my friend I feel fairly prepared to go back sometime soon and try some things for myself. I personally haven't smoked a cigar in years (the first and last one I had one was a Davidoff at my High School graduation) but I think I might enjoy it more now. I remember the smell was wonderful but after an hour I had a raging headache. Hopefully the next time I try a fine cigar I will be headache free

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
He did say that he used a regular lighter though (I didn't try to conceal my cringing) so I think I might force him to buy a cigar lighter if matches aren't what he wants to use.

There is no harm in using a soft flame lighter, as long as it is a non petrol based fuel.

I use and have used my Zippo pipe lighter for Cigars and Pipe for 20+ years...light, pause and let burn 3 or 4 seconds, then put flame to tobacco...no bad flavor. You have to do the same with matches, or you get a sulfer taste...

There is no harm in using a soft flame lighter, as long as it is a non petrol based fuel.

The lighter was a standard bic disposable. I am not sure if this is a soft flame lighter. I was just always under the impression that using such a lighter for a cigar was less than ideal.

I remember the smell was wonderful but after an hour I had a raging headache. Hopefully the next time I try a fine cigar I will be headache free

You know why? You were breathing so deeply for so long, really pulling the scent in through the nose for an extended period. In doing so, you repeatedly (for an hour!) flexed all your upper face muscles and those on the back of your head raising the tip of your nose and flaring your nostrils slightly. Eventually, they begin to cramp from overuse and this leads to a tension headache. Happened to me the first couple of times, too, before I realized what I was doing.

Next time, just breathe normally. :wink2:

The lighter was a standard bic disposable. I am not sure if this is a soft flame lighter. I was just always under the impression that using such a lighter for a cigar was less than ideal.

It not fancy but Bic's don't impart any off flavors or have any detrimental effects to the cigar. A soft flame lighter refer to all wick and some butane, (like the Bic disposable), that don't have a torch or jet flame.

You know why? You were breathing so deeply for so long, really pulling the scent in through the nose for an extended period. In doing so, you repeatedly (for an hour!) flexed all your upper face muscles and those on the back of your head raising the tip of your nose and flaring your nostrils slightly. Eventually, they begin to cramp from overuse and this leads to a tension headache. Happened to me the first couple of times, too, before I realized what I was doing.

Next time, just breathe normally. :wink2:

I had never even thought of that! I will definitely keep that in mind next time

It not fancy but Bic's don't impart any off flavors or have any detrimental effects to the cigar. A soft flame lighter refer to all wick and some butane, (like the Bic disposable), that don't have a torch or jet flame.

I'm glad to learn that a standard bic disposable works fine. I wouldn't have thought that

Top Bottom