What's new

Maybe a gross question RE: Face Washing

So, I've been DE shaving for about 4 months now and I've stopped washing my face. Facial cleansers are expensive, they tend overdry my skin, and I don't think they're necessary. Washing my face can also irritate my skin if it's done too soon after shaving...plus it washes away all the awesome shaving smells. Am I wrong or gross on this?

The way I look at it, my badger brush and blade exfoliate my face very thoroughly, the alum block acts as an astringent, and the aftershave replaces the lost moisture. I do use a basic face wash on my forehead, eyelids and nose, but won't touch any place that sprouts facial hair.

Is this gross?

:confused:

Why would it be gross? Washing/cleansing is overrated, IMHO, and often does more harm than good. I would say, avoid to wash/shower/cleanse, etc., as much as possible. Do it only when necessary. Best - MM

I don't think it's gross at all. Since I've started using shaving soaps and cremes with a shaving brush, if I wash my face otherwise, it only irritates my skin. Dirt and excess oil gets washed away after you lather up and shave.

Spencer

I have also found that washing my face with most typical facial cleansers irritates and dries my skin out. However, two that I can use regularly without too much drying are Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash.

As long as you wash your foehead and nose I agree with others that the shaving soap does a very thorough job washing your face (and the brush exfoliates). I mean, it IS soap after all...

I have also found that washing my face with most typical facial cleansers irritates and dries my skin out. However, two that I can use regularly without too much drying are Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash.

+1
And Nivea Sensitive too

Anymore I tend to go for just rinsing my face off if it feels overly dirty.

If it feels really grungy, I'll wash my face with a spare puck of shave soap laying around, and follow up with a little aftershave.

Sounds like it would be a cheaper option for me too. My face washes are around $30 for a three months supply. But for me, the shaves are better when I wash and use an oil.

Sounds like it would be a cheaper option for me too. My face washes are around $30 for a three months supply. But for me, the shaves are better when I wash and use an oil.

Try and skip the wash and the oil. Just using my natural skin oils without washing made a huge difference for me.

Oh Mannn! I hate to be the first.
I still wash my face the first thing when I enter the shower. The only difference is that I use Mitchell's WoolFat soap now. Either that or the Mysore Sandalwood soap I got online. Both soaps leave my skin soft and smooth.
Count me as more or less of an unrepentant clean phreak.
Ken.
Did I mention that I have a crew cut (mostly bald in the middle) and I use the Mitchell's WoolFat soap for that too..
Ken.

Well, I think if you wet your face, use a good cream, and then shave you are doing a pretty darn good job of cleaning your face. Probably more so than washing with a cloth and soap. And if you take a shower every day and wash your hair with shampoo, then I would imagine the rest of your head and face get clean enough. That's how I do it.:biggrin1:

Top Bottom