What's new

Does anyone add glycerin to tallow soap lather?

While I was lathering up some Tabac in my bowl this morning I was wondering if adding a few drops of glycerin could improve the lather at all (if that is possible with Tabac)? I know it has glycerin listed on the ingredients so I don't know if adding any would matter. I was thinking about the same thing with my Prarie Creations soap as well, though it's lather is close to Tabac's!

Yes, adding glycerin to a soap helps to make a denser lather. The problem I have though is that the glycerin aided lather doesn't hold up as well in the scuttle. I add glycerin to DR Harris Marlborough (stick grated into a bowl) and Cella. I can't get dense lather with either as is. I've never had a problem with any of the other tallow based soaps I have. I've added glycerin to the French shea butter soaps and it makes the lather a little different, but it dies in the scuttle too. I don't have the problems with the lather dying in the scuttle when I make uberlather, but that may be because of the high amount of soap/cream. I sometimes wonder if altitude affects the lather as well - things foam so easily due to the lower vapor pressure.

I've never seen the need to add anything to my lather, especially tabac. If the soap or cream was too horrible to shave with as is I would rather move on to something else than add other ingredients to it to make it useable.

I don't do it, but lots of people do what they call an "Uberlather", which is a combination of soap, cream (the two combined make just a "superlather"), and glycerin. I, personally, use Thayer's Superhazel in my preshave which contains a good amount of glycerin, and my shaves aren't the same without it.

Don't get me wrong I love the lather that Tabac gives, I was just wondering if you could get some extra slickness from adding a few drops of glycerin.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Before I shave, I add 3 drops to my Chelsea's Unscented Soap for 'Uber-lather' :w00t:

Christopher
proxy.php

I've never added glycerin to any soap, but lately, I've been using a glycerin soap (Pears) as part of my prep, followed by Tabac.

I think the two DON'T go well together, but of course, YMMV. I get better results when I prep with Out of Africa's Black Soap, which is rich in Shea Butter.

After a few experiments, I only use the glycerin soap on non-shaving days ... but I intend to try it again in the warmer weather to see if I get different results.

I've never seen the need to add anything to my lather, especially tabac. If the soap or cream was too horrible to shave with as is I would rather move on to something else than add other ingredients to it to make it useable.

+1; If its your thing go for it though.

My Proraso soap is already glycerin based, so I don't see the need to add any. I'm new to this whole wet shaving universe, but in my humble opinion if your soap is insufficient at lathering enough that you feel the need to add glycerin, the soap you have isn't great and you should purchase a new one. Like I said, I'm new.

Interesting concept with the altitude. Lower pressure means that water vaporizes to steam at a lower temperature, so your lather bubbles expand more causing them to pop. Makes perfect sense.

I find with a scuttle that too hot breaks down the lather, but if I wait a few minutes and build the same mix back up I get thick luxurious lather. I also find rebuilding the lather on the face makes for even better lather.

Sometimes my lather completly dies between passes in my scuttle, but I know the water/soap ratio is just about perfect so I get merangue very quickly relathering on my face. Your altitude and hot scuttle probably exaggerate this.

Phil

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My Proraso soap is already glycerin based, so I don't see the need to add any. I'm new to this whole wet shaving universe, but in my humble opinion if your soap is insufficient at lathering enough that you feel the need to add glycerin, the soap you have isn't great and you should purchase a new one. Like I said, I'm new.

New here or not, that's some very sage advice.

I've never had the need to add glycerin to any soap either; looking at the ingredients, I see that my at-home soap MWF already contains some glycerin.

I've tried adding glycerine, but in my case I don't think it made a noticeable difference. I still have some and add a few drops if I want to make "superlather". All you can really do is try it and see how it works for you.

JR

I've tried it and it didn't do anything for me. Others have, and swear by it. Why not try it for a few shaves? Either way you'll learn something new about your routine and you might just find something that you enjoy.

I do it from time to time. Does it make a difference? If so, it's slight. Glycerin is cheaper than cheap, so the investment is not huge if you want to try it. I don't know that there is much downside to giving it a try and see how much and if your milage varies.

Top Bottom