What's new

What's for dinner? 2011

Today is worth mentioning: a sandwich consisting of fresh, crunchy French bread, true Black Forest Ham, ripe brie and Double Devon Cream butter. Simple, delicious and good for the soul.

Grilled Pork steaks with more really good corn on the cob and a asian style cabbage salad SWMBO made. (so don't ask me what was in it)

I couldn't let that beautiful lump charcoal get lonely so 6 chicken legs&thighs are on the cool side of the kettle now with some mesquite chunks smoking away.
More of a grill/smoke than true barbeque but I get tomorrow night off from cooking :w00t:

Mmmmm. Soup.

Can you tell me more about that knife? Length, handle material, blade material, hardness? It is a beauty!

Smells great in here ! Shawn the knife is a hand forged damascus by Delbert Ealy, I am lucky enough to be doing a pass around with this blade. Its pretty hard, but I cannot give any specifics. The cutting edge is 255mm. Really thin laser of a blade. I cannot say what wood is on the knife but is very impressive.

Smells great in here ! Shawn the knife is a hand forged damascus by Delbert Ealy, I am lucky enough to be doing a pass around with this blade. Its pretty hard, but I cannot give any specifics. The cutting edge is 255mm. Really thin laser of a blade. I cannot say what wood is on the knife but is very impressive.

Thanks Jim. It doesn't look that long in the pictures. I was thinking 210.

Are you using home made stock for the soup or store bought base? I usually use Better the Bouillon. I really need to make and freeze some stock.

I have realised the last three weeks I have been eating vegetarian, this isn't all bad but I must not be balancing my meals properly and getting all the essential vitamins and minerals because my body felt like some meat today. Just FYI I have not intentionally been having a vegetarian cuisine, I just prefer most veggie dishes, leaves me feeling much lighter and peppier, tastes good too.

Anyways back to the main point, my body is telling me it feels like some meat, so dinner tonight will consist of;
- 2 nice thick New York strip cuts of beef
- Mashed taters
- Button Mushrooms
- Pepper gravy for the mash, and some wholegrain mustard for the beef. of course the usual fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.

Side dish; beer.

side dish; beer

love it

I have realised the last three weeks I have been eating vegetarian, this isn't all bad but I must not be balancing my meals properly and getting all the essential vitamins and minerals because my body felt like some meat today. Just FYI I have not intentionally been having a vegetarian cuisine, I just prefer most veggie dishes, leaves me feeling much lighter and peppier, tastes good too.

Anyways back to the main point, my body is telling me it feels like some meat, so dinner tonight will consist of;
- 2 nice thick New York strip cuts of beef
- Mashed taters
- Button Mushrooms
- Pepper gravy for the mash, and some wholegrain mustard for the beef. of course the usual fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.

Side dish; beer.

Simple tonight... just took my son out to the local pizzeria. I'm not a fan of any pizza, really, but it was good and he loves it.

We had a great restaurant meal with a group of friends last night and this evening we are taking it very easy at home. Accordingly, the cooking was simple but it still ended up being tasty. Polenta with mushrooms, tomatoes, rucola and some shaved Grana cheese. A bottle of sangiovese/shiraz was the perfect accompaniment.

proxy.php

Mrs R is away for a couple of days so the normally forbidden pork was on the menu (I'm married to a Muslim lady): some pork loin chops, pan fried in a little oil until cooked through. Set aside and into the pan with a chopped clove of garlic and some minced ginger, a finely chopped bird's eye chilli for some heat, a knob of butter, a spoon of Dijon and a glug of soy. Swirl it all around, grind in some black pepper, taste. I added a splash of water here as there was a little too much saltiness and let it bubble way for a couple of mins. Without the water it would have been way too salty once it had reduced a bit. I added back the juices that had gathered under the chops, which I then artfully arranged on a plate, sloshed the sauce over and ate with a big salad, all sorts of green raw stuff sliced and shredded, with an Asian style dressing, garlic, fresh lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce and grapeseed oil to thin it all down.

I made a vegetarian sub the other night. I sauteed some onions, added peppers (forgot what they are called, but they taste like sweet bell peppers), homegrown sprouts, and fresh and sun-dried tomatoes to the buns I baked. The fresh tomatoes came from a local farmer. The subs were great.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom