What's new

American dip

I recently got in to dip and I'm enjoying. It's cheap, there are so many kinds, it doesn't make you smell, and it doesn't affect breathing like smoking. I didn't really see a dip specific thread so I decided to start one.

I've had several Skoal, Copenhagen, and Grizzly varieties so far. If I had to pick a favorite I think I'd have to say it's the straight or natural. I do sometimes want some flavor so I might do a wintergreen. I've tried some of the fruit flavors but I tend to like the saltiness of tobacco vs. the sweet. Some of the flavors just taste so artificial. Any other dippers out there?

I recently got in to dip and I'm enjoying. It's cheap, there are so many kinds, it doesn't make you smell, and it doesn't affect breathing like smoking. I didn't really see a dip specific thread so I decided to start one.

I've had several Skoal, Copenhagen, and Grizzly varieties so far. If I had to pick a favorite I think I'd have to say it's the straight or natural. I do sometimes want some flavor so I might do a wintergreen. I've tried some of the fruit flavors but I tend to like the saltiness of tobacco vs. the sweet. Some of the flavors just taste so artificial. Any other dippers out there?

Mike,

I am a lifelong Copenhagen user. Here is what I advise: run like hell. It is highly addictive, expensive, unattractive to the opposite sex, gives you bad breath, and will chew you up and spit you out. Not to mention the health implications. I can't stress this enough, smokeless tobacco is HIGHLY addictive. And at $5 a can, it is not cheap. Don't do it to yourself, man. If I could go back, I never would have started.

DL

I quit dipping about 3 months ago and have not looked back. It can be very tasty, but the negatives out weigh the positives by a mile. Of course you are grown and have to make your own decision but I would reconsider if I were you.

Dip is my main source of tobacco, unlike pipes and cigars, it is an addiction. I've used it since I was 11 years old. The amount of nicotene in snuff is far greater than even cigarettes. It is extremely hard to quit. I would take Dustinls' advice and find something else to do. Having said that, Grizzly natural fine cut is my poison of choice, I don't care for flavors. Considering this a subforum for tobacco, I don't want to come across as hypocrite. If it's something you enjoy, have at it. You may want to check out the swedish snus, it has a lower nicotene content and comes in a variety of natural styles. Alot of them are available in pouch form, so you don't have it all in your teeth.

Dip is my main source of tobacco, unlike pipes and cigars, it is an addiction. I've used it since I was 11 years old. The amount of nicotene in snuff is far greater than even cigarettes. It is extremely hard to quit. I would take Dustinls' advice and find something else to do. Having said that, Grizzly natural fine cut is my poison of choice, I don't care for flavors. Considering this a subforum for tobacco, I don't want to come across as hypocrite. If it's something you enjoy, have at it. You may want to check out the swedish snus, it has a lower nicotene content and comes in a variety of natural styles. Alot of them are available in pouch form, so you don't have it all in your teeth.

Likewise. I hope I haven't come across as that considering I smoke cigars and pipes. I'm just suggesting that the hardship of getting addicted to a substance outweighs the enjoyment of it. You enjoy dipping, sure. But can you quit? That is a question I ask myself daily. Willpower you say? Easier said than done. It's just not worth it.

DL

I appreciate the words of warning. I'm taking it slow. I work in a place where no tobacco of any kind is allowed. I have a dip on the way to work and on the way home. Wife hates spit so I wouldn't dare do it around her. It's a once in a while kind of thing.

That said, I did try snus because of not having to spit and it was very unexciting. Very little flavor and it just sat there. Seems like a product for people who don't want to "go all the way" and dip or chew.

I appreciate the words of warning. I'm taking it slow. I work in a place where no tobacco of any kind is allowed. I have a dip on the way to work and on the way home. Wife hates spit so I wouldn't dare do it around her. It's a once in a while kind of thing.

That said, I did try snus because of not having to spit and it was very unexciting. Very little flavor and it just sat there. Seems like a product for people who don't want to "go all the way" and dip or chew.

Thank you for taking my initial post so gracefully. Mike, I understand the enjoyment you speak of. Whenever I am outside doing something like splitting firewood or yardwork, I enjoy dipping. But the reality of it is, I have to have a dip in my mouth when I do anything. So I can honestly say that I no longer do it out of enjoyment, but rather to satisfy my nicotine addiction.

DL

I can see how that would be a concern. I do it twice a day during the week and not at all on the weekend because the ol' ball and chain is around. I have to say I do look forward to it, but I don't shake or anything or NEED it.

I smoked socially for 4 years and just stopped one day because I felt like it was affecting my breathing during exercise. Hopefully the same would be so if I decided I needed to stop dipping.

Thank you for taking my initial post so gracefully. Mike, I understand the enjoyment you speak of. Whenever I am outside doing something like splitting firewood or yardwork, I enjoy dipping. But the reality of it is, I have to have a dip in my mouth when I do anything. So I can honestly say that I no longer do it out of enjoyment, but rather to satisfy my nicotine addiction.

DL

Same here, for guys addicted, your post feels like someone asking "Hey, I'm really liking cigarettes, do you recommend menthol or straight, Marlboro or Camel?" So don't feel like we're beating up on you, just be aware.

I was a dipper for over 8 years. Always had a dip in my mouth. I quit cold turkey one day and stopped using for about 2 years. Then I picked it back up but only did it when I was doing yard work, fishing, or golfing, so mainly in the summer. I am a Skoal man, but have recently found the joy of Snus! It seems to be a little more social acceptable and a lot easier to hide from your wife...if you need to do such things...:blush:

Oh I have to disagree. :ohmy:
I like it b/c I dont have to constantly adjust the dip in my mouth, spit, wonder if it is in my teeth...etc. I find it has the same "kick" as any other product. I think it is for people who want to be able to get their nicotine wherever they want to and not worry about how socially unacceptable dip is.
With all that being said...Listen to Dustin and put down the can! Run, don't want, away as fast as you can!

Last edited:
I definitely agree that snus is more socially acceptable because of not spitting but it just didn't do anything for me. Just sat in my upper lip.

Oh I have to disagree. :ohmy:
I like it b/c I dont have to constantly adjust the dip in my mouth, spit, wonder if it is in my teeth...etc. I find it has the same "kick" as any other product. I think it is for people who want to be able to get their nicotine wherever they want to and not worry about how socially unacceptable dip is.
With all that being said...Listen to Dustin and put down the can! Run, don't want, away as fast as you can!

I honestly don't think I do it for the nicotine. It's fun to have a wad in my mouth (LOL) and I like the tobacco saltyness of it. When I smoked cigs I just did it because I was bored. When I think back to those years I wonder what I was thinking. They make clothing and everything smell, made breathing when expending energy more challenging, and it's not like a good cigar or pipe that you actually sit back and savor. I think that's why I just stopped one day and never looked back.

So far...
Mike,

I am a lifelong Copenhagen user. Here is what I advise: run like hell. It is highly addictive, expensive, unattractive to the opposite sex, gives you bad breath, and will chew you up and spit you out. Not to mention the health implications. I can't stress this enough, smokeless tobacco is HIGHLY addictive. And at $5 a can, it is not cheap. Don't do it to yourself, man. If I could go back, I never would have started.

DL

the negatives out weigh the positives by a mile. I would reconsider if I were you.

Dip, unlike pipes and cigars, it is an addiction. The amount of nicotene in snuff is far greater than even cigarettes. It is extremely hard to quit. I would take Dustinls' advice and find something else to do.

+1

It is indeed highly addictive. Again: "Run like hell."

the hardship of getting addicted to a substance outweighs the enjoyment of it. can you quit? Easier said than done. It's just not worth it.

DL

the reality of it is, I have to have a dip in my mouth when I do anything. So I can honestly say that I no longer do it out of enjoyment, but rather to satisfy my nicotine addiction.

DL

Listen to Dustin and put down the can! Run, don't walk, away as fast as you can!

This thread reminds me of horses and water.

I honestly don't think I do it for the nicotine. It's fun to have a wad in my mouth (LOL) and I like the tobacco saltyness of it.

Oh, I remember those days too my friend!
Then one day you are driving down the road and you reach for your can of snuff and it EMPTY!
"Oh, I will be O.K. I will wait until I need Gas to grab a can." you think.
"It is not like I NEED this"
Then the next thing you know you are in a gas station with a Log and a Starbucks Capachino drink not because you are thirsty, but because you can down it in 2 sips and their bottles make the best spitters...then it hits you...I NEED this! :001_smile

Nah it's fine. We're all entitled to our opinion. I guess smoking pipes and cigars once in a while is "less bad" than dipping once in a while.

Oh, I remember those days too my friend!
Then one day you are driving down the road and you reach for your can of snuff and it EMPTY!
"Oh, I will be O.K. I will wait until I need Gas to grab a can." you think.
"It is not like I NEED this"
Then the next thing you know you are in a gas station with a Log and a Starbucks Capachino drink not because you are thirsty, but because you can down it in 2 sips and their bottles make the best spitters...then it hits you...I NEED this! :001_smile

The glass bottle makes it more classy :laugh:

Top Bottom