What's new

ID a Gillette I found?

Sorry, no photo. I was digging through some of my grandparent's stuff and found an old Gillette DE that I haven't seen a photo of here. It's a three-piece (not TTO) with a fluted black plastic handle that is smoothly tapered (not stepped at all). The top plate has a satin finish with the Gillette diamond and arrow logo showing as polished metal. Date code is Y1. Has a Gillette Blue Blade in it still. I'm assuming this is rather low-end. A search of B&B on didn't turn up a picture or mention in the recent past. So the questions are 1) What is it? and 2) Is it worth shaving with, or should I use it to shave Parmesan onto my sandwiches? :smile:

Sorry, no photo. I was digging through some of my grandparent's stuff and found an old Gillette DE that I haven't seen a photo of here. It's a three-piece (not TTO) with a fluted black plastic handle that is smoothly tapered (not stepped at all). The top plate has a satin finish with the Gillette diamond and arrow logo showing as polished metal. Date code is Y1. Has a Gillette Blue Blade in it still. I'm assuming this is rather low-end. A search of B&B on didn't turn up a picture or mention in the recent past. So the questions are 1) What is it? and 2) Is it worth shaving with, or should I use it to shave Parmesan onto my sandwiches? :smile:

It's probably a bakelite handled Tech. They're lighter than the metal handled Tech razors, but still very nice mild shavers. Pop a Derby or a Feather into it and shave away!

It's probably a bakelite handled Tech. They're lighter than the metal handled Tech razors, but still very nice mild shavers. Pop a Derby or a Feather into it and shave away!

Dunno. That's what I thought at first, but after thinking about it, I'm not so sure. First, I don't think those had a diamond on the cap. Second, he said the handle is tapered.... Obviously the fat handle Tech is not tapered. If it is a very long tapered handle, I'd guess it is one of the final generation from of Gillette DEs. (From 1978, based on the date code). Not sure the names. Knack and Slim twist come to mind, but that might have been the TTO model.

-Mo

Dunno. That's what I thought at first, but after thinking about it, I'm not so sure. First, I don't think those had a diamond on the cap. Second, he said the handle is tapered.... Obviously the fat handle Tech is not tapered. If it is a very long tapered handle, I'd guess it is one of the final generation from of Gillette DEs. (From 1978, based on the date code). Not sure the names. Knack and Slim twist come to mind, but that might have been the TTO model.

-Mo

Hard to say sans photo, I agree. I was just going on the description of "fluted handle, three piece" - which matches two old bakelite handle Techs that I have, though you are correct that they lack the etched cap. The handles do taper slightly from base to head, though.

It's a poser. The other possibility is it's a "mix and match" Tech. Of course, we know that NEVER happens ... :001_tt2:

Bob,

Look here. The second razor on the page, "heavy handle." Does it look like that, as far as shape. Obviously not gold, and with a black plastic handle. If it has that handle, except plastic, it is a Tech, as suggested. Otherwise, it is probably one of the very late razors.

-Mo

Or it could be a WWII GI issue Tech. Like one of these. Bakelite handle. Silver top had etched Gillette logo. Issued to US servicemen until the late 50's, I think, if my info is correct.

The head does look like the gold one with the etched logo, but of course not gold. The handle seems like the two pictured, except the end is not conical at all like the one on the left, it's rather flat, maybe even very slightly concave, with MADE IN USA and the diamond on the end. I'm not sure where my grandfather would have come up with a GI issue razor; he was too young for WWI and sort of too old for WWII. I'll try to post a photo when I'm home tonight.

Hopefully these photos are clear enough. It does seem like one of the GI razors. I wonder if Gillette had various suppliers for the handles? It was very clean (probably was never used; I saw no evidence of soap scum or razor stubble), but I soaked the metal parts in scrubbing bubbles anyway.

Top Bottom