What's new

Newbie looking for the next cream/soap

Dear collective B&B wisdom,

Other than my foolish attempt at an ATG pass (got cocky) I'm thoroughly enjoying this new endeavor into wet shaving. I've started with the AOS lavender travel kit and have been really happy with it other than price. It will run out though, and I need some advice on the next soap or cream and aftershave balm or splash. I have pretty sensitive skin and a tough but not very dense beard. Currently rotating an EJ89L, a Super Adjustable, a SS flare-tip, and a gold ball-end working through a sample pack of blades and have a boar and a badger brush. I currently do the 4 pass method minus the ATG (learned my lesson).

So, to recap, sensitive skin, only experienced tAOS lavender set, and have a broad choice of tools. What'd be a good next load out for soap/cream and aftershave?

Thanks fellas!

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Try either Cella or P.160 (while you can still get it) and remember, you can't go wrong with Proraso!

Soaps: MWF; MB unscented; Cella; AOS unscented; T&H.
Creams: Godrej; T&H Ultimate Comfort; Acca Kappa 1869; :proraso.
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Skin; Neutrogena Triple Defense; GFT Skin Food.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would skip ATG, stop the 4 pass shave, stick to 2 or 3 top.

+1 I've also heard that Mama Bear soaps are very good.

+1 to Mama Bear. I picked up a tub on the BST here and love it. Great scent, great lather, great moisturizing, slick, easy to use. As a fellow newbie, I learned so much about my face, using a DE razor, and building a good lather with Mama Bear. It's a great soap and company overall, with tons of options and a good price.

End glowing review.

I also like TOBS Avocado for similar reasons as above, and Tabac is solid but I think I like the other two better. Not sure yet, only used the TOBS and Tabac a couple times each.

Good luck fellow newbie!

Tabac is a great soap, and Cella is a great cream. I too love Mama Bear's soaps, great fragrances and super slick...but I'm still on the Tabac bandwagon. When it comes to lather, fragrance and slickness, Tabac is number one, then Cella IMO.

well it depends on your own personality and the kinds of smells you like.
i personally can recommend the

Colonel Conk World's Famous Shaving Soap
i would recommend the Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin but this gives a cooling effect and i can only really enjoy it in the summer.
for after shave i like bay rum smell and use
Capt Smith's bay rum because it contains real rum and gives a Macaulay Culkin in "Home Alone" burning effect.

I'm new to this game to, but I've got Bluebeards Revenge Cream, Proraso Green Tube and Taylors of Bond Street Jermyn Street (For sensitive skin). The are all good, but my favourite so far is the Taylors stuff, I used to snear when I read people on here having a smell of their soap/cream when they are in the bathroom, until I found myself having a fly sniff of the Taylors whenever I'm in the bathroom. Great aroma, great lather and cushioning.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear collective B&B wisdom,

Other than my foolish attempt at an ATG pass (got cocky) I'm thoroughly enjoying this new endeavor into wet shaving. I've started with the AOS lavender travel kit and have been really happy with it other than price. It will run out though, and I need some advice on the next soap or cream and aftershave balm or splash. I have pretty sensitive skin and a tough but not very dense beard. Currently rotating an EJ89L, a Super Adjustable, a SS flare-tip, and a gold ball-end working through a sample pack of blades and have a boar and a badger brush. I currently do the 4 pass method minus the ATG (learned my lesson).

So, to recap, sensitive skin, only experienced tAOS lavender set, and have a broad choice of tools. What'd be a good next load out for soap/cream and aftershave?

Thanks fellas!

Some excellent soaps for sensitive skin are: Cella, P.160, Valobra stick, MWF and La Toja stick.

Some excellent creams for sensitive skin are: TOBS Avocado, Acca Kappa 1869, Speick and Musgo Real.

Obviously, my opinion.

Proraso is a good starter cream as already suggested. Since you are still starting out I would recommend sticking with a cream, it's just easier to lather and will allow you more time to focus on the actual act of shaving. Once you have the shaving down then experiment with soaps and more creams. If you want to try something local head down to your local Whole Foods and pick up the Kiss My Face creams. That's what I use and it's super easy and very slick.

Top Bottom