What's new

Opinions on Open Comb razors

I'm thinking about getting an open comb razor. What are your opinions on open combs compared to straight bar/closed combs? Does it help with the angle and give a better shave? What is the best open comb razor for new shavers like myself? One seemingly good one is the GoodFella razor, but I'm looking for something less expensive than that.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would go with a Gillette NEW if you are looking for one. I think those are best in the variety of Open Comb I tried.

I have a Merkur Futur currently, but I absolutely hate it. The name of the Gillette is the NEW? Sorry if that is a stupid question I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

1 vote for the joris. They are beautiful and very well made with a large hefty handle. I would caution you if you are new to de shaving as razor burn is easy to achieve wth some open combs. Get used to de sahving first before attempting an open comb shave

I have two open comb, one a Segal and the other old type Gillette. I love 'em both. The Segal has longer teeth and is audibly louder as I shave. They both do a terrific job and I would highly recommend them.

I prefer the OC to a straight bar. I like the fact that the OC does not scrape off all of the lather in advance of the blade, and generally I feel like I get a smoother, closer shave. I also like the feel of the comb on my skin. The Gillette New (I prefer the short comb variety) are fine shavers that can be had for little investment. I also like my Merkur 1904 OC, which can be had brand new for less than $30.

I'm a fairly novice DE shaver currently using a 15c open comb, seems to work fine. I like how it leaves stripes where i messed up on the angle.

I think the New (long or short comb) is a great, great razor. It's especially good for those with hair that grows very close to the skin, especially on the neck. It's rapidly becoming my go-to razor.

Top Bottom