What's new

Dorko in Black Horn

Here is my first attempt at horn scales. The razor is a 6/8 Dorko 114 I've had for some time which was in a set of homemade acrylic scales. The wedge is antique paper micarta and the hardware is nickel silver / stainless. I tried to keep the wedge a little less tapered than I normally do, while still having it fulfill the duty of "wedge". My self-critique on these is that the tang-end of the scales is a touch short, due to a bit of oversanding (still getting used to the speed at which my new stationary belt sander removes material). I sanded the horn with 80,120,150,220,320,400,600,800,1000,2000 then buffed with white, red and green buffing compound and blue magic polish.

I took the photos with my phone so they're slightly distorted close-ups. Let me know if you guys have any pointers.

Last edited:
My self-critique on these is that the tang-end of the scales is a touch short, due to a bit of oversanding

I don't know man... I think it looks good. You have a really nice view of the tang when the razor is closed. It lets the blade show itself off more. I wouldn't worry about that it being small. I, personally, like it.

Great job on those scales. I like the wedge too.

I am impressed. The lines are very nice.
Thanks - the stationary belt sander made it much easier to get the lines smooth & clean than it was shaping by hand.

Nice job Dallas!

You must have quite the collection of Dorko's!
I only have 3 right now, Tracy - and always on the lookout for more. I have a thing for Dorkos...

Digging the colour of that wedge! And also very nice work on the horn, I'd love to get my hands on some.
Thanks - yeah I was worried it would be too yellow and it does look pretty yellow in the pics, but it actually is more of a tan / ivory colour and I'm pleased with it.

Fantastic job Dallas, Looks excellent.
Thanks Bong.

Looks like you rocked it. Well done.
Brad - thanks for your compliment and more importantly thanks for making your restoration video series and giving me a benchmark to shoot for in terms of quality, fit and finish.

Very classy! :thumbup1:
Thanks!

I don't know man... I think it looks good. You have a really nice view of the tang when the razor is closed. It lets the blade show itself off more. I wouldn't worry about that it being small. I, personally, like it.

Great job on those scales. I like the wedge too.
It is definitely growing on me. The scales feel great in the hand while stropping and shaving, so I'm not too worried about it.

Very nice job! I love the look of horn scales.
Thanks Joe.

Very nice, but heck man - HOW'S IT SHAVE?
I just got my second Dorko in the mail yesterday (needs honing), but my other Dorko is my best shaver by far. Curious about yours.

All 3 are really, really good shavers... up there with Puma, LeGrelot and Breidohr IMHO. I find them very easy to hone and they hold an edge forever. I'm always on the lookout for Dorkos but they don't come up all that often. I have a 1/4 hollow and it is really spectacular.

All 3 are really, really good shavers... up there with Puma, LeGrelot and Breidohr IMHO. I find them very easy to hone and they hold an edge forever. I'm always on the lookout for Dorkos but they don't come up all that often. I have a 1/4 hollow and it is really spectacular.

Is that 1/4 hollow the one you and I traded? Funny how for one person they shave great but for another (me) it wasn't worth a darn.

Any time I see a job of work like yours I am happy. The shape and quiet elegance show that the work was on purpose and meant to look as it does.:thumbup:
Thank you
Respectfully
~Richard

Top Bottom