What's new

Pick for me....

Some C&D tobacco "mysteriously" :ihih: showed up at more door today and I'd like suggestions on what to crack open & fire up first. Please select from: Autumn Evening, Blockade Runner, and After Hours and let me know. Comments on those also welcome. You have until about 8pm Eastern before I fire up.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I only have experience with one of those, Autumn Evening. I like that one but my vote is biased. :lol:

I also had some arrive yesterday . . . but mine was no mystery!!! :biggrin1:

I'm going to try the Autumn Evening first. (Even if it is winter outside!)

Please do let us know how it is. The only C&D that I have smoked is Purple Cow.

DL

So far, I'm liking it (smoking it now). It's a bit wet and so I have to relight & tamp frequently. The maple scent is very noticeable (and pleasant) in the can. I don't notice it as much when it's lit, but the room note is there with a touch of sugar... reminds me a bit of kettle pop corn minus the corn and butter tastes, if that makes sense. And of course, mapley goodness is evident. I'll have to wait 'till I finish smoking to get the real room note tho. So far, tho, I'm pleased.

I definitely like my Autumn Evening (actually most aromatics) on the dry side. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

So far, I'm liking it (smoking it now). It's a bit wet and so I have to relight & tamp frequently. The maple scent is very noticeable (and pleasant) in the can. I don't notice it as much when it's lit, but the room note is there with a touch of sugar... reminds me a bit of kettle pop corn minus the corn and butter tastes, if that makes sense. And of course, mapley goodness is evident. I'll have to wait 'till I finish smoking to get the real room note tho. So far, tho, I'm pleased.

After finishing my smoke and sniffing some ground coffee (it resets your sense of smell), the room note seems to be largely "sugar" with a hint of maple. A little unusual, perhaps, but not at all unpleasant. Tomorrow morning, after the room has had a chance to marinade, will be the true test.

Blockade Runner's up tonight.

I must admit some initial confusion/surprise when I opened the tin and found what appeared to be a brownie.

So, question... should I crumble the whole thing up now or just break up a chunk at a time?

Blockade Runner's up tonight.

I must admit some initial confusion/surprise when I opened the tin and found what appeared to be a brownie.

So, question... should I crumble the whole thing up now or just break up a chunk at a time?

Rich, not a 100% sure but I think you only flake off what you intend to smoke at the time.

DL

Rich, not a 100% sure but I think you only flake off what you intend to smoke at the time.

DL

Thanks, Dustin. That's what I was betting on.

So far, not an overly flavorful smoke (tho smelled quite "english" in the tin), but it burns beautifully.... minimal relighting thus far, but perhaps a bit more tamping than others.

edit: upon second can-sniff, I can detect more of the rum scent there.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You can do whatever you want with it, it's your tobacco, but I would recommend, like Dustin said, use a sharp kitchen knife and slice off a flake at a time, you can then vary your prep to see how you like it best, you can break the up flake into chunks and smoke it, or cut it up into a thin shag, or fold in in half across the grain and then fold it in half with the grain, twist it a little and stick the whole thing in you pipe.

You can do whatever you want with it, it's your tobacco, but I would recommend, like Dustin said, use a sharp kitchen knife and slice off a flake at a time, you can then vary your prep to see how you like it best, you can break the up flake into chunks and smoke it, or cut it up into a thin shag, or fold in in half across the grain and then fold it in half with the grain, twist it a little and stick the whole thing in you pipe.

Thanks!

I broke off a chunk and rubbed it (I guess) into a bunch of (mostly) flakes. Seems to have worked well and pipe loaded easily. I think I'll keep it in "brownie" form with the exception of the left over flakes from the first loading.

Well, pipe's finished... not much of a room note other than general "pipe scent." But, it smoked cool and had some flavor to it. I found a lot of unsmoked tobacco left afterwards tho. I assume I need to work on my technique... maybe I packed it too tightly?

Also, noticed (as I did yesterday) much more of a nic punch than other pipe tobacco's I've tried.

"After Hours" is up for tomorrow... the can scent is really interesting.

Slightly OT, but if you haven't lit up a Glade "Hawaiian Breezes" candle, you really should (not used while smoking, btw). Very warm and ambery scent. Supposedly, mango, pineapple, and others, but not sweet.

Top Bottom