What's new

Help identifying this razor

I got this as part of a "package deal" on Etsy and have yet to identify it.
I think it's an old type but I can't figure out which one.

It has a serial number on the top side of the toothy plate that looks like

1666910 or
1066916 or

some combo of those. They are small and hard to read.

thanks

My guess is that it is a New Improved.

The handle looks like it is a Big Fellow razor....I could be wrong, once u clean it up it will be easier to tell.

Last edited:
Looks alot like the New Improved Big Fellow I just picked up. You'll know because its longer, thicker, and heavier than a standard gillette. Check this thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185572

Jay

ps-BTW I used the baking soda and foil trick then polished and you can really see how they clean up!!

Yep, that's what it is and I am doing the aluminum foil boil right now.

How long did you let it sit in the boil before you took it out ?

Yep, that's what it is and I am doing the aluminum foil boil right now.

How long did you let it sit in the boil before you took it out ?

Aluminum foil BOIL??? :scared:

The razor needs to be in contact with the foil to facilitate the transfer of ions. I would think that boiling would move the foil out of contact with the razor, slowing down the process.

I mix my brine with almost boiling water - that makes the soda dissolve more completely into the brine solution. I leave it in the brine until I see no more tarnish conversion taking place. Then, I usually do it again with fresh foil and brine.

Aluminum foil BOIL??? :scared:

The razor needs to be in contact with the foil to facilitate the transfer of ions. I would think that boiling would move the foil out of contact with the razor, slowing down the process.

I mix my brine with almost boiling water - that makes the soda dissolve more completely into the brine solution. I leave it in the brine until I see no more tarnish conversion taking place. Then, I usually do it again with fresh foil and brine.

I called it Aluminum foil boil as a choice of words to describe the process.
I actually put the disassembled razor on the foil, sprinkle it with baking soda and pour over boiling water.
I was wondering how to tell if the process had completed. Hours ? Overnight ?, Water cooled ? Stops bubbling ? Etc.

I didn't know about the razor having to be in contact with the foil.
Time to do it again.

I was hoping it was just a play on words . . . :laugh:

The process is an electro-chemical reaction. The razor and foil are the cathode and anode, with the electrolyte brine completing the circuit. Sulfur ions move off the razor, and onto the foil, converting the tarnish back into clean silver.

Some folk pour the soda over the parts and drench with hot water as you do. I believe it is better to dissolve as much soda into the brine as possible and then pour it over the parts. Very hot water allows for better dissolving of the soda and therefore a stronger brine. The stronger the brine, the better the reaction!

I mix mine in a separate container and then cover the foil and parts with the brine. I generally let it sit for several hours. When the brine cools, some of the soda will precipitate out of the solution. I toss the brine and foil, and wash the razor with dish soap and toothbrush and inspect before I give it another round (if needed.)

Hex,

I start with wd40 to get the rust and crud off. After that a dish soap rinse to get any oil off. First soak with the foil I did about 15mins and it got off about 80% of the crud. I repeated the process 2-3 times with fresh foil getting maybe another 10% off. One thing I found looking online was to add about a tablespoon of salt to increase the conductivity of the water which speeds the electrolocess up. After that I washed again with dish soap to get any remaining salts off and hit it with silver polish. Check that link and you can see the before & after. Way easier to clean this guy than any nickel gillette I've ever done!

Jay

This cleaned up pretty well, though there are still some spots on the gridwork of the handle that seem impossible to remove. I am going to try the aluminum foil trick again, adding salt and increasing the amount of the baking soda. I was sticking to the 1 tbs+1 cup formula.

These pics are after 3 soaks.

Sure can't hurt and I wonder how it shaves.

Writing says:

Pat Jan 13 1920 USA and the serial number looks like this: 106691C

It weighs 85 gms

I think this is from 1929.

Last edited:
Cleaned up nice! Mine still has a couple little spots in the knurling as well. They wouldn't come off with the foil and after 2 polishing passes I was afraid I might start some brassing so I left them. As to the shave I liked it. It less aggressive than my Ball End Long Comb New, and just a bit more than prewar Fat Handle Tech(my daily driver). Obviously ymmv.

Jay

Very, very nice cleanup!!

After the final "foil" process, I like to use Wright's Silver Cream to add a little more depth to the shine. It is very mild, and really brings the razor to life!

I'm fairly certain you will enjoy the shave!!

Top Bottom