What's new

$30 Amazon Badger Brush... Park Pure, EJ Pure, or Something Else?

I jumped on today's Living Social deal, a $20 Amazon GC for $10. I have a Shaving Factory XS (Jaguar 236) that's starting to break-in nicely, but I'd like to try a Badger. I'd like to get something from Amazon, prefferably something that qualifies for Prime shipping, in the ~ $30 range. I exclusively bowl lather, usually Proraso creme but sometimes soaps or super-lather.

I'm mainly looking at the Edwin Jagger 89p16 Pure, or this Parker Pure. The latter gets far better Amazon reviews, is larger, and is heavier. That said, I know EJ has a much better name around these parts. Of these two, does anyone see a clear winner?

Which would you recommend? Is there something else in the $30ish range on Amazon I should consider? Or do I just need to step up to the EJ 1ej946sds Best for $42 and call it a day? I was originally leaning toward a LiJun, DeLong, or other eBay Finest or Silvertip, but the Amazon GC deal now has me looking toward a name brand Pure or Best... anyone want to comment on that choice one way or the other?

If I'm better of skipping Amazon all together for the brush, I'll just use the $20 GC on a Fisher Shuttle Grid Space Pen I've been eying.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have an EJ Pure and it's ok. It's the best brush I have and I don't have many so I can't really compare it to anything else. I know you have the $20 on Amazon but you may want to consider looking on the B/S/T or posting a WTB thread for a brush in your price range instead. You may get something better that's slightly used from a B&B member.

I have an EJ Pure and it's ok. It's the best brush I have and I don't have many so I can't really compare it to anything else. I know you have the $20 on Amazon but you may want to consider looking on the B/S/T or posting a WTB thread for a brush in your price range instead. You may get something better that's slightly used from a B&B member.

I check B/S/T frequently, but it seems all the $30-$40 Simpsons and the like are gone within 5-10 minutes, or people are selling stuff in lots with flowery soaps/cremes/balms that I have no interest in.

Without any experience of the higher priced spreads, I humbly offer my high praise for the Parker brush you're considering. It was my first brush after my return from the darkside of canned goo and I was and remain very impressed with it. I'm no badger expert, but the bristles seem way beyond what I associate with Pure grade (e.g., the quite okay Shea Moisture brush) and I would even place them above the Frank Shaving Finest that I also quite like. The closest I've got in my small (but growing alarmingly fast) arsenal is the Em's Place silvertip I acquired here on B/S/T. Both are big, soft knots that do better with soaps and creams than anything else in my collection.

I've got no experience with the Jagger brushes, but looking at the pix on your links, it sure seems that the Parker's knot is more like the higher priced EJ than the cheaper one.

Whatever you end up with, I hope you find it a nice change from your boar. I like to mix things up with my boars (Omega, Jaguar, CVS/VdH) and horsehair (Turkish no-name), but whenever I put the Parker or Em's to my face, it feels like coming home!

The boar will likely become my travel brush and might get some use if/when I try harder soaps (if the Pure/Best I settle on is too soft). I'm sure I'll be pleased with either, just wanted to see if there was a clear winner for some reason.

I'm honestly not a brush snob, at least not yet... I still use a $2 barber supply brush with VDH melted into a tea cup in the shower along with an M3 or Bic Metal on the rare occaison I need to do a rush job.

In that price range, and on Amazon, I'd get an Omega boar brush. These are solid performers and will make lather more easily than other cheap boars. Unfortunately you can't buy Semogue boars on Amazon!!! Otherwise, get the pen on Amazon and get the brush elsewhere. For $20 - $30 you can get a very very good TGN knot and reknot the handle of your choice. Then you'd have a brush worth MUCH more than a $30 amazon brush!

In that price range, and on Amazon, I'd get an Omega boar brush.

I'm pretty happy with my Shaving Factory XS (Jaguar 236), so I don't really feel the need for another boar.

For $20 - $30 you can get a very very good TGN knot and reknot the handle of your choice.

I like this idea, but I don't have a handle to re-knot. I'm being picky about the handle (black, fairly simple profile) and once you add the cost of a handle, a DIY brush is pushing $50... well worth it, but not what I'm looking to spend right now. If there were cheap plastic/resin handles readily available out there, I'd probably go the TGN route.

I'm being picky about the handle (black, fairly simple profile)...

At risk of being accused of shilling for Parker, I also want to note that it has the nicest heft of my several brushes, probably because of the metal base.

In any event, it may be moot because Amazon is showing this particular brush as "currently unavailable".

I found one B&B review of the Parker and it looks like it might be better than most "Pure" brushes. It mentions that it's not a trimmed brush like most other "Pure" brushes and might even be a "Best" by B&B grading Wiki standards.

I'll probably wait and see if the heavy Parker Pure comes back in stock... it was still available when I posted this morning. That is, unless the Amazon GC just burns a hole in my inbox once it's active tomorrow... at which point I'll probably buy the pen and be back to square one on deciding on an affordable Badger.

Last edited:
I've been using the Kingsley #28 off amazon. I'm new to wetshaving (started a month ago), and it became quite soft after the first week. Works pretty well, dunno how other brushes work though, so take it for what it's worth.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Can't until middle of next month... 45 day rule...

I think anyone can post a WTB.

I second the TGN for the future, at least. My finest 22mm is just awesome, and could have been my only brush if not for SBADs lol. If you are patient a 5-10 dollar handle can be found, if not eBay than on the WTBs. Add
A 22.00 finest and you are in business.

I have the EJ best you have linked in your post and it is a nice brush. Of the brushes you listed I would get it if you could spring for the extra $12.

I have the EJ best you have linked in your post and it is a nice brush. Of the brushes you listed I would get it if you could spring for the extra $12.

My Amazon GC ended up being free (Living Social), so I would spring the extra $12 for the EJ Best... IF it were in stock. Now I've almost settled on the Parker Pure King Size Marble. It's another un-trimmed pure, and supposedly large and dense... makes me think it may be closer to Best quality like the other parker. It's $35 and in stock. I have Prime so I might even have it by the weekend, as long as the Amazon GC is active before 3pm today.

Hi,
I bought the EF Best Badger brush large 3ej947 and it is an almost too large 22mm soap/lather HOG! I'm going to buy the small version of that for $42 and I know I'll be happy with that. Also, I'll either pick up an Omega 10048 boar or similar boar to experiment with as I like to jazz up my folicles with a good workout pre-shave! Joe

The Pakrer Pure 24mm Deluxe Handle Pure (reviewed here) came back in stock right around the time my Living Social Amazon GC was activated, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I like the idea of a big brush with a heavy handle, and by all (B&B Review, Amazon Reviews) reports it has a nicer knot than most others advertised as Pure.

Ordering on a Friday with PRIME 2-day shipping they're estimating Tuesday delivery, but I've always had them arrive on Monday when I've ordered on Friday in the past.

You'll like the parker brush. Ive been using that brush for a month now and am quite pleased. I will, however, be looking for something with a tad more backbone next time.

Top Bottom