What's new

Had a great shave today, but...

Finally used Cella for the first time today and what a wonderful shave, but in the middle of my shave I happened to notice a lot of water on my counter under my scuttle. I figured it had splashed out the spout and was no big deal. I wiped it up and found a couple minutes later water under my scuttle again. Yep, hairline crack down the side. :cryin: Kind of a disappointing day, but still had a great shave though. :biggrin1:

My question for anyone out there, has anyone else ran into cracks in their scuttles and if so, is there any way to seal/fix it?

I thought about using marine epoxy or something like that, but was wondering if there is something with a thinner viscosity which might work better.

Well my first initial thought was using something like a concrete sealer like you would use on you garage floor or basement wall but I don't know how much it costs or if you can buy it in quantities that are reasonable for your application. They go on like normal paint so you could just paint the entire scuttle if there isn't a lavish design on it that will get covered.
http://www.sealkrete.com/damplock.htm

Last edited:
How long have you had the scuttle and who made it? Any chance it was defective to begin with and took a while for the leak to get significant enough to notice?

Its a Robert Becker scuttle from Feats of Clay and I have had it for about 4 months. I love it and wouldn't want to trade it for any other. I think I would have noticed it before if it was there, I am very meticulous about cleaning and drying it after every use.

Assuming you didn't intentionally damage it, i'm shocked a scuttle would crack after 4 months. I'd call up the vendor and mention your plight, seems to me as new as that puppy is and as well as you take care of it, this shouldn't have happened.

I believe they make a colorless tile sealer for ceramic tile floors and walls. Might be just the ticket.

I think you might be onto something there. I remember my father-in-law using a grout sealer on a friends tile bathroom floor. I wonder how well it would keep the crack from getting worse.

Pics of the crack might help.

If the crack isn't open too wide and you just want to keep it from spreading, a medium or thin CA glue (super glue) from a hobby shop would run into the crack and be waterproof after curing.
If the crack is open enough to pour in a thicker mix, JB Weld would work great.

Here is a pic of the crack. With a flashlight I can see the entire crack inside through the spout. I think I am going to try to fix it from the inside using some epoxy and a straw. Hopefully it works.

Top Bottom