What's new

Old-school vs. new-school

While it's true that my wetshaving skills do continue to improve, I went on vacation this weekend and shaved with my old Gillette Fusion Power Glide (with a not so new blade). Gillette Goo followed with a travel-sized Every Man Jack aftershave. In other words, nothing fancy at all.

I hate to say it, but it was an effortlessly BBS shave, better than anything I've been able to replicate in three months of safety razor shaving.

I'm not giving up, I swear.

But is it reasonable to think I'll ever do a better job with my EJ89, IPs, fancy shaving soaps and creams and superhazel/splashes/ASBs?

If canned goo really worked for you stick with it for a couple of weeks.

I beleive you will find that your skin will feel dry. If not then keep using it.... YMMV

But is it reasonable to think I'll ever do a better job with my EJ89, IPs, fancy shaving soaps and creams and superhazel/splashes/ASBs?

It's all about you, my friend. If you like it, keep at it. Like anything else, you'll make big progress, then plateau out. After a while you'll improve again before leveling off once more. On the other hand, if you shift back to cartridge shaving, you'll take whatever gains you made along with you. Do what makes you happy.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just improve your shaving technique and you'll certainly do a better job with your "Old School" DE razor, brush and soap/cream. No doubt. :wink2:

A year down the line and my EJ89L definitely gives me a shave as close as my previous Fusion. I never believed it was going to happen, but it has. Stay with the DE and keep improving the technique. It will all fall into place soon enough!

David

While it's true that my wetshaving skills do continue to improve, I went on vacation this weekend and shaved with my old Gillette Fusion Power Glide (with a not so new blade). Gillette Goo followed with a travel-sized Every Man Jack aftershave. In other words, nothing fancy at all.

I hate to say it, but it was an effortlessly BBS shave, better than anything I've been able to replicate in three months of safety razor shaving.

I'm not giving up, I swear.

I used to get a great shave with my fusion/edge gel combo, but it was only twice a week. If I tried to shave with less than 2 days growth it would tear my face up.

With DE, while I am not getting BBS on every shave (getting closer though) I can do it every day and my face feels great.

YMMV though so do what works for you.

Charlie

Yeah, I don't want to give up. I enjoy everything about the DE wet shaving except for the lack of great results.

Today was quite good and blood-free, but I wouldn't call it BBS. That has yet to happen for me.

Man, I'd stick with DE shaving just for the tradition alone. You have more control over your shave - you get to pick your blade, your razor, everything! Plus it's waaaaaaaaaay cheaper after your initial investment for the razor et al. For the price of 10 cartridges, you can get over 100 razors of great quality.

I vote to stick with DE shaving and just enjoy the process of technique realization.

I got out of the shower after a shave only to find out that half of my face is not shaved (im a newbie). Sure, it would be easy to go back to carts, its effortless and quick, but using DE teaches me a little about being patience with things (not only shaving). Taking things slowly and not giving up.

The blade does not make wetshaving wet. Nothing wrong with a Fusion in the rotation.

I wetshave with a Fusion every once in a while to remind myself. That first shave back is very deceptive. It's typically a great shave, but if I continue the toll on my skin quickly makes shaving feel like a chore. Plus the stubble when it does show up is sharper for some reason. Fusion shaving for me allows for ingrown hairs to show up with regularity. DE/SE shaving doesn't.

The same thing happened to me too back when I first started. But after awhile the Fusion started scraping again and giving me redness. I began to miss the "sheer" cut of a DE razor. Then, seriously, it suddenly CLICKED and I began getting wonderful shaves with a DE.

But if you like using the Fusion and gel, keep it. :thumbup1:

While it wasn't apparent initially, the longer I use a DE the fewer ingrown hairs I experience. I suppose those who never had ingrown hairs while using cartridges would not be able to relate...

I will say that it's "clicking" more and more. I'm having fewer days in which I cut myself or have to go back over and over for smoothness on my cheeks (which are the main sticking point, yet never were back in the day).

For all the times I used to stand at the cartridge display at Target and fume over the $26 I was about to spend for a four-pack, I'm gonna keep on keeping on.

I only wish I wouldn't have had such effortlessly smooth results over the weekend with the Fusion. Sorta took the wind out of my DE sails ...

I use a cartridge razor once or twice a week when I'm pressed for time. It's not as good as my Red Tip but it sure is quick and the shave is more than presentable. Two points of difference between now and when I started using a DE about 7 months ago:
I use a brush to lather every time. No more canned stuff. The difference is night and day for me.
Also, I use the same "face mapping" technique whenever I use the carts that I use with DE razors. I make several passes, too.
No shame in the carts, man. It's good to hear the unbiased, nonjudgmental feedback in the previous posts of this thread. I'm definitely in the DE club but I can't always take the time to do it right or appreciate it.

I only wish I wouldn't have had such effortlessly smooth results over the weekend with the Fusion. Sorta took the wind out of my DE sails ...
Gillette isn't the only company making cartridge razors, and theirs might not even be the best.

It's not a mortal sin to like cartridge razors (well, maybe it is, but so what) and it's not like you have to be married to one system. If you can get a great shave out of a Fusion, you can probably do the same with a Mach 3, Schick Quattro or Hydro. Stock up on whatever is on sale, and enjoy the shaves!

Work on the DE shaves at your leisure. You'll get the hang of it, and be the master of awesome shaves with whatever you use. That will make your life better.

Top Bottom