What's new

Does it Really Make a Difference?

Hi, I'm new here and as you can tell from the title of my post I am completely ignorant of the whole idea of wet shaving. I'm 41 years old and have never used anything but supermarket creams(or gels)/disposable razors(currently Gillette Fushion) and/or electric razors. I've had Braun electrics in the past and a Norelco (which was horrible) and most recently I've ordered a Panasonic Arc IV (yet to receive). In fact that's what brings me here...I started looking for a cream to use in conjunction with the Panasonic, and discovered this whole realm of "wet shaving." I've read and read over the course of the last several hours, and I have a really simple question. Does wet shaving really make that big of a difference?

I've never had what I would call a "comfortable shave." It always feels like the blades are pulling the hair out verses cutting it. While I don't have a heavy bead, it is somewhat coarse and no matter what I've tried, nothing seems to make much difference and it appears that wet shaving would take considerably longer, is that about right?

Now after reading everything that I have here, I'm wondering if the techniques taught here will make a difference when it comes to comfort? I understand I could probably get a closer shave, but how about a more comfortable one? Thanks!

BTW, how long does it take to go through the whole "wet shaving" process? Honestly the length of time it takes me to shave with cream and a disposable is one of the deciding factors in going electric.

Welcome to B&B!

You'll have to try it and see for yourself. With some practice you should be able to shave in about 10 minutes. But when it changes from a chore to a hobby you may want to take your time.

Short answer: Night and day difference :thumbup1:

Having said that, one of the reasons that this is more comfortable is because it takes longer...you don't just wipe your beard in one swoop move with 100 multi-blade blade cartridge that also makes coffee in the process.

It takes me ~30 minutes to get done (whole process) and sometimes I make it last longer. Making lather, prepping the beard and using a DE or straight to wipe (one pass at a time) yesterday's whiskers are a true joy to behold.

You may find that this time factor is annoying (and some actually shave in less than 10 minutes or so), but as some may attest to, it's a whole lot of fun to do...shaving no longer becomes a chores...it transforms into something you look forward to every morning

Thanks for the replies...I just may have to give it a try and see. The problems is that there are so many choices that it's overwhelming to the point of being prohibitive. Plus it's hard to purchase many of these products sight unseen since it all seems to be so personal. Is there a particular national department store that is known for carrying a decent selection of shaving supplies where I can go look? I looked at the links page, but didn't find anything within a 100 miles of home...I live in East Tennessee.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Welcome to B&B.

Only you can answer this question. Obviously your current routine isn't ringing your bell. I can get through my shave in less than 5 minutes when I need to. Heck! I can get it done in about 30 seconds using a cartridge if I absolutely have to.

However, the process that most of us go through isn't about saving time. Maybe just start on the weekends. Pamper yourself with a luxurious lather. You don't even need to use a new razor just yet. Just start with the lather. It feels very nice on the face and prepares your whiskers to be more comfortably cut off.

Women go to spas and spend tons of money for a brief time of indulgence, while we get to enjoy the pleasures of a wet shave any day we want. Why continue doing what isn't making you happy?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for the replies...I just may have to give it a try and see. The problems is that there are so many choices that it's overwhelming to the point of being prohibitive. Plus it's hard to purchase many of these products sight unseen since it all seems to be so personal. Is there a particular national department store that is known for carrying a decent selection of shaving supplies where I can go look? I looked at the links page, but didn't find anything within a 100 miles of home...I live in East Tennessee.

Online purchasing is what most of us do. See if there is an Art of Shaving store near you. HOWEVER, WARNING FOLLOWS: Hang on to your wallet and don't let them talk you into overspending. Ask here first. Art of Shaving makes some of the best lathering shave creams and shave soap. You will only need one to start with and one brush. That's it, don't buy anything else until you have mastered and enjoy luxury lather.

Then hang around here for awhile and decide what type of razor you would like to try. I love my 1940's style Superspeed razors, but I can also get a darn nice shave with the Schick Hydro 3 and a quality lather.

P

Pjotr

Hi, I'm new here and as you can tell from the title of my post I am completely ignorant of the whole idea of wet shaving. I'm 41 years old and have never used anything but supermarket creams(or gels)/disposable razors(currently Gillette Fushion) and/or electric razors. I've had Braun electrics in the past and a Norelco (which was horrible) and most recently I've ordered a Panasonic Arc IV (yet to receive). In fact that's what brings me here...I started looking for a cream to use in conjunction with the Panasonic, and discovered this whole realm of "wet shaving." I've read and read over the course of the last several hours, and I have a really simple question. Does wet shaving really make that big of a difference?

I've never had what I would call a "comfortable shave." It always feels like the blades are pulling the hair out verses cutting it. While I don't have a heavy bead, it is somewhat coarse and no matter what I've tried, nothing seems to make much difference and it appears that wet shaving would take considerably longer, is that about right?

Now after reading everything that I have here, I'm wondering if the techniques taught here will make a difference when it comes to comfort? I understand I could probably get a closer shave, but how about a more comfortable one? Thanks!

BTW, how long does it take to go through the whole "wet shaving" process? Honestly the length of time it takes me to shave with cream and a disposable is one of the deciding factors in going electric.

Well, I'm a newbie to this site too and similar to you I've been wet shaving for a long time, until recently with cartridge and foam, then with cartridge, brush and cream and now with a DE. It very quickly turns in to a nerdy hobby. Looking at vintage razors and brushes etc etc. I disagree that wet shaving the traditional way using a DE is any better than using a cartridge. The overriding difference in my opinion is that if you've been "converted" you just take more time and care doing it You have to, a single blade (DE or straight) is just bloody scary if you're in a hurry and need to turn your face in to something respectible as quickly as possible. Until you become really proficient (which I'm not as yet), the Mach 3 or Fusion is far more forgiving. Don't know about electric shaving at all. You have to take care using a DE (let alone a straight) otherwise you'll be sitting in that important meeting looking like you've just stepped out of a boxing ring.

I enjoy it and happily dedicate the time to do it. And you can spend hours checking out creams and blades and balms and a vintage travel razor and......... Nerdy, nerdy, nerdy.

I'm female, but there are more similarities than differences between shaving legs and shaving faces. I've been shaving with a DE for a few months now.

I shaved a MALE friend's face a couple of times with a DE. He has very course hair. He also has a lot of problems with ingrown hairs and irritation. According to him, the good lather with a brush made the shave feel better. Also, there was visibly less irritation and ingrowns.

As for me, I HATED shaving. But now I look forward to it. It's a time for me to pamper myself. And trying different products to see what works best for me is a lot of fun!

For me the reason I DE shave is it is my time. I have taken something that used to be a chore that was hurried through and turned it into something that is enjoyable. Is DE faster than an electric? Yes and no. I used an electric for a couple years and it took a bit of time but I could walk around and do other things, so I saw it as a time saver. But to be honest most days I can shower, shave and be dressed in around 20-25 minutes. To me it's fast enough and more fun, and the results are not bad either.

Oh yes, it makes a difference!

For years shaving was an annoyance I didn't really look forward to. Frequently I'd wait to shave until the whiskers became more annoying than shaving. Wet shaving technique changed that entirely. Good preparation and good shaving cream applied properly produced much more pleasant shaves for me. Even when I don't use a DE razor, the process results in much better shaves.

You should be able to get a good shave in less than ten minutes, easy. It doesn't have to be an extended process if you don't want it to be.

I hear you. It is complicated to figure out how to get started. We try to make it easier with pages like http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving but it is still complicated. If you want to order one big package, http://www.italianbarber.com/p109-Ultimate-Wet-Shaving-Starter-Kit.html might be the best thing out there.

Another option is to use the least-bladed cartridge or disposable you can find locally, but instead of gel use a brush and a cream. You should be able to find the Van der Hagen brush at a local drugstore or the Moisture Shave brush at Target. You should also be able to find the Real Shaving Company cream or the Kiss My Face cream (yes, ignore the name). A good lather should fix at least half of your discomfort, and reducing the number of blades that touch your skin should also help. See http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Real_Shaving_Company for RSC retailers. KMF can usually be found at Whole Foods and sometimes other health food stores.

Another option is... Oh, I'm not helping am I?

Be sure to watch some of Mantic's videos and read the tutorials, especially for lather and prep.

I have been wet shaving for about a year now. I would agree with the other newbie that once you learn on a DE you have learned not to pressure things and take some time. This if applied to a cartridge shave would yield good results. However, if you have the equipment it is a lot cheaper to keep using DE blades.

The brush and cream can help a lot. The brush lifts up your hairs and suspends them in the cream. This makes them a bit easier to cut, it also keeps them hydrate which weakens the hair and also makes it easier to cut. I have greatly reduced my irritation after starting proper wet shaving techniques. I can wear collared shirts without the red dots around the ring of my neck.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to B&B!:thumbup1:

I can only reiterate what has been said already. I have been DE shaving for a whole year now, and after ditching that Fusion thingie, have never looked back. If your current method is giving unacceptable shaves, then you have nothing to lose.

David

Hello and a very warm welcome to B&B. I've been a DE convert for about a year now. I would say that the quality of shaves has much improved for me. Does it take longer? Yes, but not by much, and while my girlfriend laughs at how much I immerse myself in the bathroom every time I go for a shave, it is my time, and a very laborious chore previously is now very much an enjoyable pleasure for me.

Yes it is labour of love, but the satisfaction of creating that text book lather, or the intoxicating scent from a favourite soap or cream, and my personal favourite: rubbing that baby smooth face is a satisfaction I never got when using carts or canned gels. I could never go back now

The Panasonic Arc IV is one of the best electrics out there. Try the King Of Shaves Kinexium shaving oil with it. This oil is super slick and it works great with the Panasonics. When you use the electric don't switch back and forth between it and your manual razor. Your face has to adjust to the electric and it could take up to four weeks before you get comfortable smooth shaves. That is why they give you usage trial periods when you buy a new shaver. It took me about a week to adjust to my Braun. I have to admit that I do like my electrics. They are time saver's, and they work for me when I want to use something different. Look for the Kinexium Oil on Amazon.com, I found Amazon to have the cheapest prices.

Clayton

It definitely made a difference for me. The problem you describe of "pulling" the hairs instead of cutting them will definitely improve if you have a good lather.

Even if you don't want to jump straight into using a DE, you can get better results with your Fusion if you use a brush and a good cream. It won't take much longer than using the canned goo.

Here's what I would recommend to start with:
1. Get a cheap brush from Walgreens or CVS.. under $10
2. Buy a tube of C.O. Bigelow shave cream at Bath & Body Works in the mall (or online).. this is the same as the Italian brand Proraso; one of the easiest creams to lather, in my opinion. It costs about $10, but you can find it for less on sale.

I think you'll find that you get good results just with that. If you decide you want to invest some more time/money later, you can explore getting a better badger brush and maybe trying a DE razor.

If you run into any difficulties, check back.. lots of guys willing to help around here.

Wow! I'm blown away by the quickness and the number of responses to my question. Thanks so much to all for your willingness to help this noob out. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but it's been a long day at work.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I might start with cream and/or soap for now and then transition to a DE razor later. I don't want to short change myself and not enjoy the experience because I went too cheap on these items and did not realize the full benefit of a better product. That said, I'm thinking about a badger brush maybe from Vulfix? (maybe $50 or so?) and either soap and/or cream from one of the big "T's". I know these items are very personal and everybody has an opinion on which they like best. But if my goal is to get a comfortable shave (no pulling); generally speaking, will a cream or a soap work better?

Also, I'm thinking this is not something I'll do everyday at first. Maybe use the electric during the week when I'm rushed (I know...:scared: ), and then use the wet shave on weekends when I've got more time to experiment and enjoy the experience. I know that may not be optimal, but would it be a seriously detrimental to getting a good shave?

Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Wow! I'm blown away by the quickness and the number of responses to my question. Thanks so much to all for your willingness to help this noob out. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but it's been a long day at work.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I might start with cream and/or soap for now and then transition to a DE razor later. I don't want to short change myself and not enjoy the experience because I went too cheap on these items and did not realize the full benefit of a better product. That said, I'm thinking about a badger brush maybe from Vulfix? (maybe $50 or so?) and either soap and/or cream from one of the big "T's". I know these items are very personal and everybody has an opinion on which they like best. But if my goal is to get a comfortable shave (no pulling); generally speaking, will a cream or a soap work better?

Also, I'm thinking this is not something I'll do everyday at first. Maybe use the electric during the week when I'm rushed (I know...:scared: ), and then use the wet shave on weekends when I've got more time to experiment and enjoy the experience. I know that may not be optimal, but would it be a seriously detrimental to getting a good shave?

Thanks!

I would say start with a boar even. A badger is too picky IMO (depends on the hair grade)... Boar brushes are very cheap and very good!

Top Bottom