What's new

50's flare tips versus 60's

I have a '65 SS Flair tip. Not really impressed with it. I like the 40's style balance.

Is there any difference in weight, feel, performance between a 1950's flair tip versus a 1960's?

Super Speed expert Asylum Guido started this thread and is a wealth of SS information.

Introduced in the late '50s, the 1960's version of the Flare Tip is a little lighter, and has a lower head profile. Gillette also changed the center rod retainer from a screw to a ring clip. This change gave the razor a slight "rattle" with the doors closed that the '40s and '50 style (with the screw) didn't have.

There was also a cosmetic change in the external machining of the TTO knob.

Having shaved with all versions of American Super Speeds, I must say the 1960's version is my least favorite. The '70s version Black Handle feels better balanced, and the earlier '40s and '50s versions are just flat out better shavers.

The "specialty" models (black tip, blue tip, red tip) all have their followers. In fact, the red tip shaves more like an Aristocrat than a Super Speed.

While not in my regular rotation, I do have a couple of SS razors in my collection and enjoy using them on occasion. I could certainly live with one as my only razor if I had to.

As "they" are fond of saying, however, YMMV :thumbup1:

Thanks for the link and your two cents.

I do like my red tip, but just can't get it on with the 60's SS. I have a 70's that seems better balanced, as you say.

I have a '65 SS Flair tip. Not really impressed with it. I like the 40's style balance.

Is there any difference in weight, feel, performance between a 1950's flair tip versus a 1960's?

BBrad above has a good posting regarding your query. There was a significant change in the profile commencing in '60 with a lower profile head. I consider the '50s flare tip to be the 'golden age' of Superspeeds. They, along with the '40s Superspeeds, are excellent razors.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom