What's new

Did I get a bad batch?

I just received my first order from Mama Bear. I received a tub of Rosemary Mint Shave soap, and a tub of Docs Dragon. The Rosemary/Mint smells awesome, so I thought I'd use it right away.

Now, I've been using soap for years, and I have a top of the line Shavemac. but, I was trying to lather the Rosemary Mint tub, as I would any other tub of shaving soap, and the weirdest thing happened. It wouldn't lather AT ALL!! I'm not just talking a little lather, I'm talking NO lather. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, so I stuck the brush in the water again, and started swirling with all my might. NOTHING!! Finally, it started to lather a little bit, but certainly nothing like what I'm sure it should. I've seen pics of her stuff where there's an explosion of lather, but I got just a little white water in the bowl, and no real lather.

At first, I thought it was the product, so I thought I'd try the Docs Dragon tub that I also got. That one exploded in a mountain of lather almost instantly, and I proceeded to use it, with no problems. GREAT shave!!

So, can someone help me out? I don't want to ask Sue at Mama Bear unless i'm absolutely 100% certain that it was the soap and not me. But, I tried swirling it with a lot of water, a little water, no water, and then even more water, but I got nothing. is it possible that I accidentally got a defective batch where some lathering agents were accidentally not included in the batch? This happened to me one time before with Pirates Cove, and the guy emailed me and told me that I got it from a batch that accidentally had way too much shea butter in it, and as a result, wouldn't lather. He replaced it with another puck from a different batch and it lathered great.

Any tips on how to proceed? Like I said, I don't want to ask Sue for a replacement unless I'm absolutely certain!!

IIRC I read a message that she was increasing the mosturizers in her soaps, which lead to decreased lather. You should probably PM her.

I have already received a PM from Sue, and she has graciously offered to replace the defective tub.

I want to stress that these things happen when a product is as wildly popular as her soaps are. It only serves to highlight just how good her products are. This is not an assembly line that makes the products where machines are programmed to mix minimal products in a batch and automatically pour it into tubs. When a product is made with such care and personal attention, there is bound to be a tub that doesn't mix right. I am not an annoying customer, and hate to think that I was just trying to get a free tub, but Mama Bear will be replacing this tub with a new tub of the same scent. I will let her know how the replacement tub latheres, and I have no doubt that it will be as effective as any of the high end soaps on the market.

Although I did not use the Rosemary/Mint as a result, I did use the other tub (Doc's Dragon), and it exceeded my lofty expectations. Her products are outstanding in quality, scent, and performance. I will continue to purchase her products as longa she's in business.

Hi
Sometimes a skin is formed when melt and pour soaps harden. I am not sure why but something as simple as the weather the day it was poured may have caused your problem.
Try letting hot water sit on the soap for a minute or two then scrubbing with a stiff brush will remove the film if this is the case. Then try to lather again and see if you have better results.
J

Sometimes a skin is formed when melt and pour soaps harden. I am not sure why but something as simple as the weather the day it was poured may have caused your problem.
Try letting hot water sit on the soap for a minute or two then scrubbing with a stiff brush will remove the film if this is the case. Then try to lather again and see if you have better results.

+1

After a few goes, MB soaps give hella lather.

Top Bottom