What's new

How vintage DE blades compared to modern blades?

Most people claim the BEST blades were those made by the big American companies in the sixties and seventies. I would tend to agree but the old stock blades are so EXPENSIVE that the quality difference between them and quality modern DE blades is negligible.
Wp

Some of the vintage blades of the 70's are far superior to modern blades. Gillette Swedes, Personna 74's and Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades are all sensational blades and will last anywhere from 2 to 4 times longer than modern blades.

I bought a 5 pack of Gillette Super Blue blades from an antique shop back in the day for pretty cheap and I only use those blades for special occasions. I love them. They give me the best shaves ever!! They definitely last a lot longer than most modern blades I think.

I bought a 5 pack of Gillette Super Blue blades from an antique shop back in the day for pretty cheap and I only use those blades for special occasions. I love them. They give me the best shaves ever!! They definitely last a lot longer than most modern blades I think.

I agree. They are pretty special blades. A different experience for sure.

I have a pack of PAL "Hollow Ground" Blue Blades which I'd guess were late 50's or early 60's vintage.

The double wrapping is intact and the blades rust free with traces of the original preserving oil still on them.

Being hollow ground, the auditory feedback is quite amazing; every scrape of stubble removed can be heard. Unfortunately, these are also quite blunt. Nowhere near the sharpness of Iridiums or Astras as examples.

If I had to shave with these blades every day, I'd grow a full beard. I understand why the old timers hated shaving!

Hmm I know there is a stock pile of vintage blades ata local flea market, I may have to go buy a few and try them out, as long as they aren't all rusted that is

Top Bottom