What's new

Canadian straight razors

On the Irish razor thread, Luc mentioned being aware of several Canadian mfgs of straight razors. Let's see what we know. I have a Spike razor stamped with a barber supply company in Montreal. It obviously won't qualify as a Canadian straight. I do have one straight mfg by Bally, I believe but don't have any info on the company.

So,anybody with information(or pics) of Canadian made straights, let's share what we know.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a straight stamped Montreal, Canada on one side and Made in France on the other side... So this one does not qualify but it was made for the Canadian Market.

What I could find...

DOMINION CUTLERY CO.
Montreal, Quebec and Westport, Ontario Canada
ca. 1916-1917

TAYLOR BROS CUTLERY CO
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
ca. 1885 - 1922

I was always under the impression that Ontario Cutlery was made in Ontario but it is not.
ONTARIO CUTLERY CO.
Geneva, New York
ca. 1904 - present

yeah i live like 20 mins from genava. were genco and ontario come from. but also am very near many other ones robenson form rochester. and many others close by. and sadly there not to easy to find around here really.

My first straight was a Made in Canada, Taylor Bros.
Is is an excellent shaver, very smooth and forgiving.
I got it cheap from Larry last February, and it still shaves as well as most of my more expensive blades.

I have a 'Canuck'. It is stamped "Jones Bros & Co Toronto" on the back side. I was unable to find any info on it.

I also have a "Imperial Razor Warranted" that is stamped on the opposite side "Toronto Cutlery Co.". I was unable to find any info on this one either.

The Canuck is about 5/8 and the Imperial about 4/8. Both of them shave quite acceptably.

One of them, the Imperial I think, had some damage to the edge and I had to cut it back. So that one may have started out a 5/8 or so.

full

Sorry, crappy pic, but you can just make out the "Canu..." of "Canuck" on the left one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to resurect this old thread that I just came upon. I am in the middle of cleaning this one up, so sorry for the bad pictures. I will post some of the finished blade. This was made by Taylor Bros Cutlery in Hamilton Ont. 1885-1922. They added razors to their line in 1916. This one looks badly scratched, but it is scuffing being reflected in the light. Almost forgot. Under the GOLDEN BEAUTY, it says made in Canada eh, but you can't see it........yet. Anyway enjoy
$DSCN3335.jpg$DSCN3334.jpg$DSCN3337.jpg$DSCN3338.jpg$DSCN3340.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Grelot that's marked "Royal Canada" on the blade, which was given to me by some friends in France. Special production for the Mounties perhaps?

Last edited:
Top Bottom