What's new

Aurora Style Fountain Pen

Looking for my first FP and have decided on the Aurora Style after testing out a friend's Aurora Style (F) in the Gun Metal lacquer finish. I was surprised how smooth it wrote. The Aurora lacquer pens run close to $100, while the resin versions are in the $50 range. Is the difference between lacquer and resin purely an aesthetics thing or are there differences in weight, texture or other factors which make the lacquer version twice as good as the resin version?

Generally speaking, it's about aesthetics. Lacquer is applied onto metal, so that may (but not always) make the pen more resilient. I can't speak to this particular pen, but sometimes lacquer versions are a little heaver. It looks like both versions of this pen come with a stainless nib.

Just for comparison, here is a picture of the lacquer version:
proxy.php

and of the resin:
proxy.php

The difference is plain to see, it's just up to you to decide if it's worth the difference in price.

Resin, like celluloid are classic old school materials for FPs. Some find the visual depth that they have very nice. The material has a warm touch also. Some feel they can scratch more easily or chip. I've found that metal can be just as fragile re scratch. In the end it is a matter of personal taste.

Thanks. I was leaning toward the resin due to price but wasn't sure if there was a reason other than aesthetics to go for the lacquer.

My Aurora Style finally arrived. It turned out to be a good choice for my first fountain pen. It writes very smooth, not like the pens my wife and I remember using as kids. The pen itself is actually darker than the pictures. It's a dark red or maroon, like the second picture. It came with a converter and cartridge. I'm currently using Noodler's Blue-Black.

Great looking pen and very good pictures. I have an Aurora Ipsilon (F) nib and I can vouch for it quality. It is a pleasure to use. I hope you enjoy your Aurora as much as I do mine!:thumbup1:

My Aurora Style finally arrived. It turned out to be a good choice for my first fountain pen. It writes very smooth, not like the pens my wife and I remember using as kids. The pen itself is actually darker than the pictures. It's a dark red or maroon, like the second picture. It came with a converter and cartridge. I'm currently using Noodler's Blue-Black.

It's interesting that you mentioned that. I'm young enough to have never used a fountain pen before getting interested by this forum. However, when I first started using them my mother mentioned that she occasionally used them when she was young and that they were terrible.

Nice looking pen. The engraving on the nib is awesome, and I find the cap with the angled top visually interesting. Of course, looks are moot unless it writes well and it sounds like it's got that under control. Where did you get it from?

Where did you get it from?
Got it from PenBoutique via amazon. It's cheaper here than Pen Boutique's own web site, but it took 10 days to get. A friend brought over his Aurora Style in the gun metal lacquer finish to compare with mine. The pens are the same size, but the lacquer one is a wee bit heavier (didn't have a scale to weigh the difference). The lacquer costs twice as much so I'm pretty happy with the Resin for that price.

+1 on PenBoutique
I've puchased a couple things from them thru Amazon
Received my recent order in 3 days

Congrats on a beautiful pen!

Top Bottom