What's new

Simpson Chubby 3 Best Badger vs EJ extra large Best Badger

Guys, I have an extra large EJ best badger and I'm curious about the Simpson Chubby 3(Love the big Best Badgers) so if you had your choice of the Simpson Chubby3 best badger and the Edwin Jagger extra large best badger(From English Shave Co.) which would you choose and why?(I know Joel is a fan of EJ's)

Guys, I have an extra large EJ best badger and I'm curious about the Simpson Chubby 3(Love the big Best Badgers) so if you had your choice of the Simpson Chubby3 best badger and the Edwin Jagger extra large best badger(From English Shave Co.) which would you choose and why?(I know Joel is a fan of EJ's)

I like EJ brushes, but love Simpsons. It all boils down to density, given an equal knot diameter the Chubby probably has 3x more badger hair than the EJ. Maybe that's not for you, who knows.

Extra density gives IMO a better face feel, holds more water, loads soap better, and can simulate a good amount of extra backbone (though this last one is conditional). However a more dense brush will take more product to create a lather, as they tend to hog it. The same strong capillary force that holds lots of water, will also pull lather down into the brush. This is especially pronounced when a brush is new and has not had a chance to bloom and loosen up.

I'm a hard core density guy, but for others the extra product and different lathering techniques are deal killers. I say if you dont have an ultra dense brush get the Chubby as it will be a bigger departure from what you have already.... that and I love the things :thumbup1:

Top Bottom